Why Are My Grapefruit Leaf Tips Curling Back?

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've got a small grapefruit tree that I grew from seed, and a number of its latest flush of leaves have their tips folded back on themselves. I tried digging around online, but I haven't seen anything that looks like this. Anyone have any ideas what's going on with these? They're currently sitting next to a south-facing window under grow lights, in potting soil (I know that's not ideal, but I don't know that I care enough about it to use/buy anything better at this point), and I've been using a granular citrus fertilizer on it.

Attachments

• IMG_2732.JPG
    IMG_2732.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2733.JPG
    IMG_2733.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 14

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Check for pests of course. Citrus like it dry. How much are you watering? You want the container to be much lighter than when it has been watered.

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's very possible I'm overwatering. It's a small terra cotta pot, so the pot itself makes up a good heft of the weight. Since it's potting soil, is a thorough watering (until it runs out the bottom) ideal, or a lighter watering that just kind of allows the water to perfuse on its own?

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
I’ve some grapefruits, every year I start to get this leaf curling near spring. Possible not enough light?

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wouldn't think light would be a particular issue. Like I said, it's a south facing window, so it gets about as much light as to be had, plus with the grow light that's on for 12 hours each day. I wonder, though, if it'd be better to offset the grow light to come on a couple hours after sunrise to stretch the total length of light longer than 12 hours.
I will say, I've also got another grapefruit tree from the same seed batch and a kumquat tree that get pretty much the same treatment, and neither has any such leaves.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is there a heater below the window sill?
Stomata are most abundant on the bottom side of the leafs, when they all open up, the bottom side of the leaf can expand a whole lot, causing the leaf to get a canoe or hotdog bun shape.
Stomata tend to open in huge numbers when a plant is trying to cool itself through respiration.

Could be what's happening here.

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In fact there is a heater vent below the window. I don't usually have it open (both closed and blocked by a piece of cardboard), but I do sometimes have it open. That seems entirely like it could be the culprit. I'll definitely keep that in mind going forward.

Top Bottom