Why are Shimpakus expensive?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Don and Vance.

Hello HumbleTrees. Here is a side and then back view. You can see from the side that the tree was nestled into a channel that started on the side at the base and continued up the back. I designed the tree so it would look somewhat real from all sides. Instead of just having a tree that from the front looked good and then there was nothing in the back. You will see a brass screw at the base and there is another one further up. The screws anchor the tree to the deadwood. If you use this screws use brass.

These pics are from about 2 years ago. I can't really get new pics because the tree is currently on consignment for me at the nursery.

Rob

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I notice that your from the Dallas area which I am also. If you do purchase a shimpaku, don't keep it in full sun in this area. I found out the hard way myself. I'm still working on bringing mine back to good health now from two summers ago. I decided to put mine in shade after reading the article and saw it beginning to respond really well. The first sign of trouble was thinning of the foliage and areas beginning to yellow and brown out
So is it agreed shimpaku do better in some shade?

??
Michael

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I notice that your from the Dallas area which I am also. If you do purchase a shimpaku, don't keep it in full sun in this area. I found out the hard way myself. I'm still working on bringing mine back to good health now from two summers ago. I decided to put mine in shade after reading the article and saw it beginning to respond really well. The first sign of trouble was thinning of the foliage and areas beginning to yellow and brown out
So is it agreed shimpaku do better in some shade?

??
Michael

Sometimes a shade treatment is preferable to a potato chip treatment in the full sun. Shimps are strange in this area. When grown in a lot of sun their growth is very compact and tight but on the yellowish side. When grown in the shade the growth becomes more loose and open but the coler takes on a beautiful bluish color.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Vance,
I guess I left the statement too open. The location of Dallas with it's heat was what I was talking about as here in Alabama the summers have been Hot and heat from my deck even more so. I have a couple shimpakus that I have tried on the deck and in a open field, both "live" but do get some brown tips. I thought it was my water but now sounds like maybe too much heat. I will test this summer, one under edge of trees with some direct afternoon sun and one in the open field under slats of second row on the bench.

Thanks,
Michael

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
As Vance points out, when the trees are in extensive hours of hot sun, their color does tend to get washed out a bit. One way to help this is to make sure you are fertilizing enough.

Rob

johng

Omono
Reaction score
I tend to disagree

I realize that Shimpaku originate from mountainous regions. However, after more than 20 years of growing shimpaku in full sun, with very good success, I suspect the issues folks are referring to about growing in the sun are more from a lack of water than too much sun. I have found that although they don't like to be wet all the time, they thrive when given ample water in full sun. I would also be willing to bet that many of those with sun issues are using "modern" substrates...ie...no organics! When I use bonsai soil for these, I use my typical mix for deciduous trees...not pine trees. Most of the nursery stock is in high quality potting soil and they do wonderful...even in 4" pots. So, in my experience, and trust me when I say that I have intense sun in South Carolina, it may not be a sun issue at all but more of a matter of the tree drying out more often than it prefers....especially if you are getting brown tips!!

Although a little different situation, my rock plantings with shimpaku thrive as well in just muck on a stone and in full sun...I do have to work hard to keep them watered appropriately but if I do my job they do great!

Furthermore, growing any plant in the shade only results in undesirable and loose foliage growth....

I should add the caveat that I do not have any itoigawa, so I cannot attest to the best conditions for that cultivar.

John

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
John Thanks for your input, I don't want to take this thread over with my question. But I will reply to your statement, not to disagree with you but answer one part of your thought. I have noticed how much water the shimpaku take in each day. I had one that lived and grew very well for 3 years on the deck full sun. I had a timer setup last year to water mid day to help cool the roots, so I feel lack of water was not my issue. Which leaves me wondering what is the problem? I have installed a small filter in line with my well water for this season in hopes it may help and will water one of the shimpak with it and one with collected rain water to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks,
Michael

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Score!
I've been wanting a couple Shimpaku pre bonsai for awhile but couldn't find anything here nor of size. Then today found a little bonsai/regular nursury right here in Nashville. Got these 2 in 5 gallon pots for $45. I feel it was a great deal.

013.jpg014.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Score!
I've been wanting a couple Shimpaku pre bonsai for awhile but couldn't find anything here nor of size. Then today found a little bonsai/regular nursury right here in Nashville. Got these 2 in 5 gallon pots for $45. I feel it was a great deal.

View attachment 35197View attachment 35198

Contrats! Bonsai nursery in Nashville? I'm there almost every week, where is this nursery you speak of?

Dirty Nails

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Brian it is called "Little tree bonsai" on 8th ave south. Just off I65 wedgewood exit. You probably go right by it on your way. Google it and you'll find a map. He has Shimpaku's , nanas and some others. Not much deciduous but a humble little shop run by a nice fellow. Let me know what you think when you visit.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Anyone have an online source that sells shimpaku junis and ships to California?

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Ship to Cali??? Any bonsai nursery you visit will 100% have shimpaku now itoigawa is one to find...

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score

You are in San Jose and you are looking for people to ship shimpakus into California? That's nuts! There's a lot of people and nurseries up there with shimpakus. Keep looking! Or post a wanted ad on Craigslist and see how many people would want to sell their private stocks.
Good luck!

Top Bottom