Windswept privet

pelt

Seedling
Reaction score
This is my attempt at a windswept privet I made from a cutting,I"ve got it this far but would like to improve it more........any suggestions?

I think it's a bit to busy.

Attachments

• 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 174

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's ok, just needs to be thinned out...show more of the branching structure.
Otherwise, the story doesnt work...how can a tree become so lush in winds so constant and strong that the tree and its branches are all blown in one direction.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you want to convey a more windswept image, along with thinning, a shallower pot in a different shape--(An elongated oval, possibly or even a small thin slab) would impart a "windier" feeling. The current pot is cvastly too big visually (and probably physically) for this plant.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks good. I don't really have much to add. Seems like the suggestions are spot on, but they're things that I wouldn't even really considered. I can probably count on one hand the number of windswept style trees I've seen.

pelt

Seedling
Reaction score
thinned

ok,i've thinned it out and i have to say i'm liking it alot more now:D.....as for the pot i'll down size in a couple of months when the season is right.i think i have just the right pot in mind:eek:thanks everyone for your help.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 80

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Better, still a little top-heavy, but it may be the photo.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's ok, just needs to be thinned out...show more of the branching structure.
Otherwise, the story doesnt work...how can a tree become so lush in winds so constant and strong that the tree and its branches are all blown in one direction.

Did you bother to look at these? http://www.google.com/search?rlz=&q...YDw&biw=1462&bih=752&sei=igkQUfS6G-zh0wH3woFo

Looking at those i would have left the top alone for a bit and worked on the trunk... Not arguing. Just I have spent time there and they are Natural.

pelt

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes I looked at the pic's,their awesome and now that I've exposed the branches more I want to grow the foliage out more to sort of a point.:)

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I think you need to do a bit more thinning in the topmost part of the tree. You still can't see the branches thru the foliage.

Windswept is a style where it is almost OK to have pom-pom foliage (foliage only at the ends of branches) since it contributes to the windy image. Note that I say Almost.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
it depends on your motive, yes? I know that there are times a crazy storm is coming in and my trees look 1/2 bowled over but they are still "lush" and full. The winds are not common enough to force a complete change. I think the privet reminds me of a windy day. Quite a bluster but it will be over soon. Especially with the pot dressing. Looks like little pathway stones. Maybe a tree in a park in London durnig a storm?

Top Bottom