winged elm

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Maybe a rock elm. Idk what else it could be but a winged elm. It barks up fast if it grows freely. The are where I dug this one has others like it of varying size. I'd like to go back and eventually get all of them. The leaves reduce well also. I think this is my favorite tree i own right now.

Way I see it if you can get more get them! Sounds like one of the more pleasant ones to work with no matter what it is ;)

Grimmy

Reaction score
I'm still not sure what kind of Elm this is. I have not updated in a long time so I thought I'd post a picture. the tree suffered a few set backs, moves, pests, and one time a deer even bit it.

miraculously it has survived but died back one winter when I had it in a very shallow pot.

I have determined that by over-potting I will be able to accelerate both the development of the trunk and branch-taper, as well as the nebari. I prefer this to field-growing because I have more control and better access.

Let me know what you think about any of this. I'm going to do the same to a Trident hoping for the same results.

Attachments

• 20200814_090854.jpg
    20200814_090854.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 105
Reaction score
I hadn't realized the significant dieback you faced with this one. I do like where you have taken it. Great movement in the branch structure you have set. Very natural looking.
thanks. It's probably from leaving it outside all winter I assume... this is the first year it's spending winter in a garage so hopefully no dieback. idk how to keep the deer from biting into it tho

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
thanks. It's probably from leaving it outside all winter I assume... this is the first year it's spending winter in a garage so hopefully no dieback. idk how to keep the deer from biting into it tho
My trees are up near my house...I live very rural...with deer. Only thing I had happen was when I moved my Virginia Creeper to the stone wall to have it weep over the stone...racoon broke off my structure. But...it was a blessing. It looks far cooler now. Even had one blow my mind with an offer to buy it for a lot of money. And nothing with fruit ever sees fruit. Birds get it. But I have a lot of birds with my having a bird feeding patio. My weeping cherry in the landscape you never see the fruit ripen.

Reaction score
Update

I chewed off a bit more of the dead wood, repotted the tree, and sorted out some of the roots. it's a strong tree and I have no doubt that it will tolerate this. The last image are some root cuttings from the same plant that seem to be doing well.

still not entirely sure how I want it to look in the future... definitely going to have a hollow trunk eventually, with holes, like Swiss cheese. there is a little reverse taper going on. maybe a windswept, who knows. the cuttings could be nice as taper develops

Attachments

• 20210808_165858.jpg
    20210808_165858.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210808_170104.jpg
    20210808_170104.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210808_160819.jpg
    20210808_160819.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210808_170947.jpg
    20210808_170947.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 50

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So great to see you here! Always enjoy seeing one of our "veterans" :)

I think this tree is in a state of arrested development. It has some fundamental issues that need to be addressed, and I think you are doing refinement work and are not happy with the results because the flaws are still there.

I would honestly consider popping this tree out of your bonsai pot, and putting it into an Anderson flat and letting it grow wild for a couple of years to address the inverse taper at the base of the trunk and develop better surface roots. The good news is that you can prune an elm's branches back flush to the trunk and you will get buds popping everywhere - as long as the tree is strong when you do it. I think once the trunk bulks up, the deadwood will become a feature of the design - instead of strangely dominating it.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It seems like the February 2021 pics show much more branch ramification than now....sup wit dat?
Winter die back?
That happens to my elm.

Reaction score
So great to see you here! Always enjoy seeing one of our "veterans" :)

I think this tree is in a state of arrested development. It has some fundamental issues that need to be addressed, and I think you are doing refinement work and are not happy with the results because the flaws are still there.

I would honestly consider popping this tree out of your bonsai pot, and putting it into an Anderson flat and letting it grow wild for a couple of years to address the inverse taper at the base of the trunk and develop better surface roots. The good news is that you can prune an elm's branches back flush to the trunk and you will get buds popping everywhere - as long as the tree is strong when you do it. I think once the trunk bulks up, the deadwood will become a feature of the design - instead of strangely dominating it.
I never said I wasn't happy with the results

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I shouldn't be happy? am I reading that right?
Well, I think your tree has regressed. I think someone else who gave some good advice also thought the same.
It looked like it was getting somewhere good in February....now its not as getting there as it seems like it should be.
I like the scary fairy tale tree vibe that the February pics show.
I guess you cut it back....whatever.

Good luck with it!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any chance you can post 2 more photos that show the tree from the same viewpoints as the photos in February? I'm trying to determine what you've changed and it isn't easy to tell (other than the jin reduction).

Reaction score
Well, I think your tree has regressed. I think someone else who gave some good advice also thought the same.
It looked like it was getting somewhere good in February....now its not as getting there as it seems like it should be.
I like the scary fairy tale tree vibe that the February pics show.
I guess you cut it back....whatever.

Good luck with it!
oh I hadn't realized you were insulting me. first insult in 10 years on here! congratulations...

Top Bottom