Winter is coming...help!

m_pass79

Seedling
Reaction score
IMG_2335.JPG IMG_2336.JPG IMG_2338.JPG This is my second winter with bonsai, and I have a few questions. I had 3 junipers last winter. I brought them inside, (which I now know was a mistake) and lost one of them. When looking for a good spot outside for this winter, how important in sunlight vs protection? Any suggestions would be helpful. Second, I acquired two more trees this year and have no idea what they are or how to winter them. It got below freezing last night and I don't know if they can handle that but I don't want to bring them into the heated climate and mess up their winter cycle. The one also suffered a lot of leaf damage since I've had it and I'm not sure why.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Can't really help you fully without knowing your location. With that being said, if you get frequent , sub freezing cold, you should keep all of your cold hardy trees out of the wind and sun (but not into your house- they can happily stay frozen all winter long), particularly when the soil is frozen. That might mean keeping them in an outbuilding or mulched along the north side of your house.

m_pass79

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you. I live in Va, not the moutains region.
Can't really help you fully without knowing your location. With that being said, if you get frequent , sub freezing cold, you should keep all of your cold hardy trees out of the wind and sun (but not into your house- they can happily stay frozen all winter long), particularly when the soil is frozen. That might mean keeping them in an outbuilding or mulched along the north side of your house.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you want to get good advice here, it's best to put your location in your profile. If you have tropicals to come inside for the winter, and don't have a good window for them, you'll need at least a fluorescent shop type light above them to keep them alive. The more light they get the better they do. Looks like you've got an insect messing with your leaves, try an insecticidal soap perhaps.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The second one is tropical(can't recall the name) and should be inside with adequate lighting. Looks like it may have already been hit a bit with cold temperatures.

Not sure about the privet, I think it is warm temperate.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The second one is tropical(can't recall the name) and should be inside with adequate lighting. Looks like it may have already been hit a bit with cold temperatures.

Not sure about the privet, I think it is warm temperate.

Its not a privet. looks like a ficus to me

Top Bottom