Winter Wiring

DesertPanda

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have recently expanded my tropicals collection. Normally, I would put them under a grow light, keep them sheltered through the late fall and winter and then move them to a sheltered location in my garden. Any work I would do on them would be restricted to Spring and Summer like my temperate species. I have been doing some more reading and it seems that activities like wiring can be done at any time since there is not much of a dormant period.

Now, the books and websites that I have explored are somewhat contradictory on this with some saying yeah and some saying nay. I would like to see if there is anyone out there who has more hands on experience with these species (ficus and tea tree mostly) and could offer some definitive direction.

I have also read that it is possible to do wiring work with conifers such as spruce and pine. Is the same the case for broadleaf evergreen such as holly and boxwood?

Thank you for the assistance.

I do all my wiring on my Brazilian Rain tree in the winter, while I can watch it closely. I also do my boxwoods in winter. Some other trees, like spruce is a good one. Actually now that I think on it, lots of trees are good to wire in winter, but there are a few that do not like it...

For me it is best to do it after the leaves fell. Much easier to navigate bare branches and don't have to avoid leaves. Note that even trops may drop their leaves during winter.

I know some plants may get damaged esp in very cold places just because wires are great conductors. Luckily, this is not a problem for me here in TX.

Temperatures

I can agree onthe temperatures and wire being a great conductor...being in southern New Mexico, we still have not had an really harsh weather (as I sit here in shorts and a t-shirt). While I agree that the navigaiton is easier with no leaves, I have a few ficus that have never dropped their leave and probably will never. I am new to the Fukien Tea but with them being inside and under a grow light, I do not think they will...same with the boxwood and holly.

Last year, I had the holly under a grow light in a non-heated shop...they never really went into dormancy and never dropped a leaf. Heck, at this point the maple, burnjing bush, and crape myrtle still have some leaves.

I agree the boxwood will most likely never shed their leaves.

Holly does as well as Fukien tea...especially if you induce it. ;) (just let it dry out a bit :eek: )

Stacy, regarding to your second point...growth does slow in winter (even for us folks lucky enough to live in Florida), but doesn't that mean that the wire won't really be doing much "work" in winter as a result? So, just because you can leave it on for longer, doesn't really mean it will have greater affect? Meaning that 3 weeks of wire in July would have a much bigger impact than 3 weeks of wire in January.

Just sort of thinking out loud here. Interested in your thoughts.

No argument on the first point. I think wiring when there are no leaves is a pretty standard practice, with good reason. For somewhat developed tropical trees, that means in the heat of the growing season here - when all leaves can comfortably be manually removed.

I agree the boxwood will most likely never shed their leaves.

Holly does as well as Fukien tea...especially if you induce it. ;) (just let it dry out a bit :eek: )

I had heard that about the Yaupon as well as the Fukien tea...I just have not be brave enough to try it.

Ficus can be wired and or defoliated any time of year. They constantly grow even indoors. Teas are tough to wire and can break easy. I find that when wiring smaller branches they bend safely but it seems to slow the hell out of the growth of the branch.

ed

You can certainly wire in the winter but with a word of caution. As mentioned growth slows dramatically for most species which can pose some issues lets say if you crack or damage cambium on a branch it won't heal like it will during growing season. So you may lose some branches. Ideal time to wire is after you defoliate during growing season so healing is rapid.

Last edited:
I think that the idea of bonsai wire conducting heat or cold and damaging the tree has been debunked.

I think that the idea of bonsai wire conducting heat or cold and damaging the tree has been debunked.

I wonder how. Logic dictates that if I touch a metallic thing in extremely cold weather, my hand will get frozen faster. I know plants go to hibernation and stuff but I will stick with my "flawed logic". As I said, it is good that I do not have to deal with it here in TX and I am not advocating anyone to believe me...just airing my thoughts.

Another debunked thing is soil layering in pots. Kathy Shaner told me that the "scientific tests" sound and look great but the biggest thing missing in those tests are the trees and their roots....which plays a major role in that dynamic set up. Makes more sense to me -- though admittedly, I do not practice it myself, too much work and I am lazy. I am also in TX which means my trees need more water than those elsewhere. :eek:

I wonder how. Logic dictates that if I touch a metallic thing in extremely cold weather, my hand will get frozen faster. I know plants go to hibernation and stuff but I will stick with my "flawed logic". As I said, it is good that I do not have to deal with it here in TX and I am not advocating anyone to believe me...just airing my thoughts.

I remember reading something about this over on IBC. If I recall correctly, Bill V (I think) mentioned that the wire actually provides some measure of insulation to the plant tissue under it. After all, the coldest temp that the wire can be is the ambient temps of the air, and don't forget that plants aren't warm blooded:cool:...their temps are typically the ambient air temps as well. I suppose the wire might cool a bit faster then the woody tissue but I doubt that plays a signicant role. FWIW, I've had wire on trees that saw sub zero temps F with no ill effects.

You are correct. In fact one of Bill V's students did some experimenting to test this. Google it and you will find the info. Fwiw, it is very cold here and we wire in winter and leave the wire on all winter.

According to their experiments, the temperature of the wire and the branch were almost exactly the same no matter what. Within 1 degree at all times.

What about dangers related to wire specifically copper when it's directly exposed to the sun on very hot days?

Agreed about wiring decid. trees now after leaf fall, but be warned, maples for instance, become much easier to crack when making bends so you have to be careful.

Same thing wih copper on hot days. It was never more than a degree above the branch temperature.

Back
Top Bottom