wintering Bonsai with a modified refrigerator

RONZOG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Can you use a refrigerator modified with a small heater and thermostat to keep temperate bonsai from getting too cold in the winter. I live in Iowa and even in my unheated garage and shed temps can get real cold. this morning temp was -23 and not much warmer in my garage. thought about an old frig with small heat source and thermostat i could set to keep from getting colder then say 30 degrees. right now all I've got are a few tropical bonsai but I'd like to get maybe some maples and pines this next spring.

Thanks for the help

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Welcome RONZOG!

A refrigerator will have the appropriate temperatures to maintain dormancy without the need for a heater or anything else inside of it ( as long as it is not one that can be set on a setting where it stays above 45F (temperature should be between 32F and 45F).

I actually "wintered" trees in refrigerators for about 13 years when I lived in Orlando, so I know that it works, as long as (of course) one does not forget to water the trees. Make sure to keep the substrate evenly moist at all times.

In your location, you have the added benefit off having a normal fall at the correct time, so after your deciduous trees lose their leaves, you can just put them in the refrigerator. Or you can wait until later when temperatures are forecast to get low enough that it may do damage to the trees in question.

Of course, there are ways to over-winter temperate bonsai outside in cold climates utilizing a cold green house, minimally heated shed, cold frame or munched in outside with snow for insulation. Which species are you wanting to over-winter?

Oh, also, it is suggested that you include your approximate location in your profile so members can give you the best advice going forward, with your location taken into consideration (though I see that you mentioned it in this post).

RONZOG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Welcome RONZOG!

A refrigerator will have the appropriate temperatures to maintain dormancy without the need for a heater or anything else inside of it ( as long as it is not one that can be set on a setting where it stays above 45F (temperature should be between 32F and 45F).

I actually "wintered" trees in refrigerators for about 13 years when I lived in Orlando, so I know that it works, as long as (of course) one does not forget to water the trees. Make sure to keep the substrate evenly moist at all times.

In your location, you have the added benefit off having a normal fall at the correct time, so after your deciduous trees lose their leaves, you can just put them in the refrigerator. Or you can wait until later when temperatures are forecast to get low enough that it may do damage to the trees in question.

Of course, there are ways to over-winter temperate bonsai outside in cold climates utilizing a cold green house, minimally heated shed, cold frame or munched in outside with snow for insulation. Which species are you wanting to over-winter?

Oh, also, it is suggested that you include your approximate location in your profile so members can give you the best advice going forward, with your location taken into consideration (though I see that you mentioned it in this post).
I failed to mention I was going to put the modified frig in my garage or shed don’t have room for a regular frig for bonsai in my house therefore it would need some heat when got too cold

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It might be better/easier at that point to just keep your trees in the garage and heat the garage when needed to keep the temperature 20F or above.

RONZOG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
It might be better/easier at that point to just keep your trees in the garage and heat the garage when needed to keep the temperature 20F or above.
I was looking for a cheaper alternative as it would only be a few trees at this point. Maybe White Pine, Trident Maple haven't decided yet.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Trident maple would be a good choice for the fridge option, as that will provide temperatures cold enough for dormancy, without extreme cold that could damage/ kill trident maple roots. My parents have a refrigerator in their garage and as of today, the temperature in the garage is down to 29F in the garage, and the stuff in the refrigerator has not frozen. This tells me that a refrigerator may prevent stuff from getting colder than the typical temperature of a fridge, when the temperature outside the fridge is below freezing. As to whether a refrigerator would keep stuff from freezing when the temp just outside the fridge is well below zero Farenheight, I have no idea.

As for more cold hardy stuff like Japanese white pine, I think well mulched in, in a proper cold frame would be adequate in a zone 5(?) area like yours. Personally, I feel JWP and other suitable species of similar cold hardiness (like Mugo pine, Scots pine, Ponderosa pine and many spruce, for example) would be a better choice for your climate, than stuff like trident and Japanese maples, which would require a lot more specialized care in Iowa.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I doubt the fridge is the best solution in this case. I am thinking about issues with air circulation. I can see how you do not want to heat the whole garage though. I probably would look at a ground warming cable in a tray of sand, trees on top and perhaps some light cover over the branches in the form of these wind shelter covers sold for mediterenean plants in more moderate winter regions

Top Bottom