Wisteria air layer over watered what should I do??

Chesca22

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have this Wisteria air layer that has been over watered. Any advice on what I should do is greatly
appreciated. So the air layer has roots & seems to be still growing roots. The bag is not full of roots though. The roots are white, of different sizes and seem very fragile. I didn't use the correct sphagnum moss 🤪 I used a seed starter peat mix. Due to the layer being too wet for too long, I squeezed the water out of the soil. Another 🤪! That compacted the soil & I think made it harder for the roots to get through it, they are still growing but seem to be growing slower.20201028_111426.jpg20201028_111455.jpg20201028_111356.jpg Needless to say, the leaves have turned yellow & now are starting to fall off. 😞
I was going to wait until the bag filled with roots before I cut it off & potted it. Now I wonder if it is dying & if I should go ahead & cut it off, pot it up & put it in my greenhouse for the winter. Again any advice is appreciated & thanks a bunch in advance!! 😁

Chesca22

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also, I was planning on using a Fox Farms soil & spreading the roots out over a small flat terracotta plate. I am worried about messing with the roots though. Please advise. 😁 Thanks a bunch!!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It would be extremely hard to overwater a wisteria. They are one of the thirstiest plants I know. What you should do now depends on where in the world you are and your climate. You can go to your profile and put in your location and zone so good advice can be given to you for your climate. If you are in zone 5 or above, and you can see reasonable roots on it, cutting it off now and being super careful not to break those tender white roots off, pot it up and protect it for the winter. If you have a greenhouse that stays cold but gives protection from super cold and wind that is probably good. I can't say for sure as I don't know where you are. If the roots look not so great and you are in zone 6 or higher, I would suggest maybe leaving it on for winter so it can grow more and stronger roots. The peat base is not a problem, it may be a bit hard to untangle the roots out of it, but like I said they love the wet. Most people have trouble keeping them hydrated in summer if it's warm where they are. I have seen people sit their pots in a bird bath or shallow bowl with water in it to keep them sucking water all day.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I would not put in a shallow container. I would pot up the whole root ball with entangled roots and soil into a 1 gal and leave until next spring. You are going to cut it and stress the entire situation. Let it recover in a normal pot.

Chesca22

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It would be extremely hard to overwater a wisteria. They are one of the thirstiest plants I know. What you should do now depends on where in the world you are and your climate. You can go to your profile and put in your location and zone so good advice can be given to you for your climate. If you are in zone 5 or above, and you can see reasonable roots on it, cutting it off now and being super careful not to break those tender white roots off, pot it up and protect it for the winter. If you have a greenhouse that stays cold but gives protection from super cold and wind that is probably good. I can't say for sure as I don't know where you are. If the roots look not so great and you are in zone 6 or higher, I would suggest maybe leaving it on for winter so it can grow more and stronger roots. The peat base is not a problem, it may be a bit hard to untangle the roots out of it, but like I said they love the wet. Most people have trouble keeping them hydrated in summer if it's warm where they are. I have seen people sit their pots in a bird bath or shallow bowl with water in it to keep them sucking water all day.

Chesca22

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you so much for your reply. I am in Ohio zone 6a. I am going to leave it and let it grow for as long as possible. I live out in the country & the land is pretty rolling, we seem to get a little more snow than other areas around me. I have an unheated greenhouse that I will put it in, in a box of mulch & hopefully it will make it to the spring. Thanks again! 😁

Chesca22

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It would be extremely hard to overwater a wisteria. They are one of the thirstiest plants I know. What you should do now depends on where in the world you are and your climate. You can go to your profile and put in your location and zone so good advice can be given to you for your climate. If you are in zone 5 or above, and you can see reasonable roots on it, cutting it off now and being super careful not to break those tender white roots off, pot it up and protect it for the winter. If you have a greenhouse that stays cold but gives protection from super cold and wind that is probably good. I can't say for sure as I don't know where you are. If the roots look not so great and you are in zone 6 or higher, I would suggest maybe leaving it on for winter so it can grow more and stronger roots. The peat base is not a problem, it may be a bit hard to untangle the roots out of it, but like I said they love the wet. Most people have trouble keeping them hydrated in summer if it's warm where they are. I have seen people sit their pots in a bird bath or shallow bowl with water in it to keep them

I would not put in a shallow container. I would pot up the whole root ball with entangled roots and soil into a 1 gal and leave until next spring. You are going to cut it and stress the entire situation. Let it recover in a normal pot.
Thanks for the advice. Yep that's what I am going to do. Not going to mess with the roots & I have a 3 gallon pot I am going to put it in. 😁

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome fellow Ohioan. What basic part of the state are you in? I think your plan is a good one.

Chesca22

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good morning Buckeye! 😁 I am outside of the Carroll area in the country. How about you? - I hope it's a good plan, I'm gonna be crossing my fingers for sure.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good morning Buckeye! 😁 I am outside of the Carroll area in the country. How about you? - I hope it's a good plan, I'm gonna be crossing my fingers for sure.
Carroll? Bloom Carroll? I'm between Circleville and Lancaster.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you are where I think you are, we are practically neighbors... :) We go to Chestnut ridge to hike a couple times a month We are also out in the country.

Chesca22

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice to know a fellow Buckeye on here. 🙂 Have you been interested in bonsai long?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice to know a fellow Buckeye on here. 🙂 Have you been interested in bonsai long?
Yes a very long time. You can go search for threads I have created if you click on my avatar, and then click the avatar that comes up again, then click on the find button. You can see what I have going on in the threads that I've posted here.

Top Bottom