Wood pots, Are they only valid for prebonsai? Your opinion

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You guys recomend any "ecological" treatment for wood pots? teak oil? linseed oild? another?
Teak, linseed and tung oil are all natural products so should have no harmful effects on a tree. They won't protect the wood as well as synthetic finished, though, unless you absolutely and literally soak it in the stuff.
I'm experimenting right now with using culinary flaxseed oil on wood cooking utensils. It's the same source as linseed oil, but less processed so soaks deeper into the wood. I suspect it'll take a VERY long time to properly cure.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These seem to be products designed to stop the wood from rotting, but I don't think they'll prevent swelling and cracking to a helpful extent for pots. I'd very interested to try them out though.

This would be a very interesting experiment. I'd imagine you'd need to apply any stains before applying the acrylic coating, and I'm curious to know how if it works into the wood at all, or remains just a coating on the surface.
This one is definitely worth a try on a pot.

Coppersdad

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm on very limited means right now, so I've considered heavily wooden dishes from the thrift store or whatnot as pots, and even the idea of wicker baskets for growing out, but I'm always stopped by the same issue: rot and warping.
Wood pots just won't last.

However, as an artistic medium, I feel there's no holds barred. You will inevitably find yourself going through allot of pots if you use wood, but whatever floats your boat as they say.
The grand variety of ceramic pots we see here should be enough to prove that the pot is always secondary, and thus should be complimentary, to the tree.

As far as exhibition goes, I understand the sheer inertia of tradition, and the part it plays. Yet there's allot of talk in the forum amongst the Americans of "finding that uniquely American bonsai style." (That sort of obsession is itself uniquely American: an adolescent culture trying to differentiate itself from the world around it.)
I feel like homemade wooden, or even recycled materials, pots is a fitting inclusion in that regard.

I also can't imagine that even in East Asia that wooden pits have not been used from time to time. The experience of the individual situation always plays a part, and often produces fascinating results.

Edit: I used the term American here, I did in deed have have the US in my own head while saying it.
However, I feel that much of North America is of a similar situation as far as self-identifying their relatively young cultures, and hope that's how it's taken here.
To the comment "Wood pots just won't last."
Being a serious artistic wood turner in a former life, I once had the bright idea of creating wooden bowls to hold my trees.
This is my experience:
Turned wooden vessels will always have end grain exposed somewhere. Wood rots from the end grain. It did not seem to matter what I used to coat the surface of the vessel. I even resorted to using the two part epoxy coatings used to create the hard finish that coats bar tops. Eventually, it failed. I finally determined the problem is with the wood as a material. It moves. All wood moves. If it has just a small amount of moisture in it, it moves as a response to changes in temperature. When it moves, it creates micro fractures in any surface coating I'm aware of.
Micro fractures allow moisture to enter... AND, all wood, no matter how dry, has moisture in it. It is true some species of wood rot slower than others. But, all wood rots and becomes unsuitable as a container.
Now, in general, side grain (what we see in boxes) is less permeable to moisture entry and rot. Boxes made of boards having only side grain exposed to the soil moisture seem to last longer.

Also IMHO, any well made and beautiful wooden vessel can substantially detract from the "story" I might try to have my tree tell.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is the pine container from earlier in the thread. I have two coats of Behr deckover on it. I'm going to try to get something in it next month and I'll see how long it last.
IMG_20220119_114940687_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20220119_115141577_HDR~2.jpg
I have the cypress container cut out but have not got it put together yet.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is the pine container from earlier in the thread. I have two coats of Behr deckover on it. I'm going to try to get something in it next month and I'll see how long it last.
View attachment 416706
View attachment 416707
I have the cypress container cut out but have not got it put together yet.
I'm afraid this might be the only practicable method of treating wood sufficiently to use as a bonsai pot for long periods.

Of course there's nothing saying they HAVE to compete with ceramic or cement on that front. The more temporary nature of a wooden pot I think would compliment, at least philosophically, the idea that the tree in it never stops growing and changing.

In this context, I would personally rather see the wood grain.
But as far as being able to make something at least semi-durable from on-hand materials with tools most neighbors or local schools would have, and that could still look halfway decent, this is probably the route to go.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm afraid this might be the only practicable method of treating wood sufficiently to use as a bonsai pot for long periods.

Of course there's nothing saying they HAVE to compete with ceramic or cement on that front. The more temporary nature of a wooden pot I think would compliment, at least philosophically, the idea that the tree in it never stops growing and changing.

But as far as being able to make something at least semi-durable from on-hand materials with tools most neighbors or local schools would have, and that could still look halfway decent, this is probably the route to go.
For me it’s not about replacing the ceramic container but more about replacing the grow box with something a little more aesthetically pleasing that will last a couple of years longer.

Fort Maple

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I have experimented with just about every product you can imagine. For me a deep penetrating epoxy with a clear coat lasts a long long time. My favorite wood is the heart of red cedar. It is virtually rot proof on its own and bug resistant. It is used primarily for fence posts untreated and has a very long life I believe minimum of 30 years. Honestly though i just love wood working and bonsai and this allows me to do both with both in mind 👌👍 I dont expect my pots to last forever but they almost assuredly will out last me.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For me it’s not about replacing the ceramic container but more about replacing the grow box with something a little more aesthetically pleasing that will last a couple of years longer.
This is a very good point. I hadn't really thought of it like that before.
I have experimented with just about every product you can imagine. For me a deep penetrating epoxy with a clear coat lasts a long long time. My favorite wood is the heart of red cedar. It is virtually rot proof on its own and bug resistant. It is used primarily for fence posts untreated and has a very long life I believe minimum of 30 years. Honestly though i just love wood working and bonsai and this allows me to do both with both in mind 👌👍 I dont expect my pots to last forever but they almost assuredly will out last me.
THIS is exactly where I am. Only probably a couple decades behind.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Burls are trully beautiful, they can get crazy grain patterns.

600 year old Sitka Spruce burl

large-sitka-burl-1024x768.jpg

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not necessarily true. Some woods simply stand the test of the time much better than others. Azobe, for example, lasts decades even while constantly submerged in water for its entire lifespan. An epoxy coating will add even more years to that. It will eventually decay, but it'll take a long long time.

Wood isn't the ideal material for a pot but it's definitely possible to successfully use it, and it allows for really creative and great looking pots like @Fort Maple has made.

Last edited:

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree with @fort

Not necessarily true. Some woods simply stand the test of the time much better than others. Azobe, for example, lasts decades even while constantly submerged in water for its entire lifespan. An epoxy coating will add even more years to that. It will eventually decay, but it'll take a long long time.

Wood isn't the ideal material for a pot but it's definitely possible to successfully use it, and it allows for really creative and great looking pots like @Fort Maple has made.
Oh, I won't argue with you there. It's just that you're not likely to hand a wooden pot down to your grandchildren.
That, I suppose, may be part of the- mystique I guess you might say- of wooden pots. Impossible to duplicate, and limited lifespan, adding to the uniqueness and potential collectability of each pot, and each planting.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is not about pots but it is what has been on my mind since this thread began and the prior post encouraged me to go here.
Over a period of 30 years I was heavily involved in the importation of literally hundreds upon hundreds of Asian artifacts and antiques. Among my imports were a number of statues in every commonly used media. I had (and still have a few) statures in bronze, brass, iron, pottery & porcelain, jade, other stone and wood. To me wood was (and is) a very special medium because of its ephemeral quality.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a collection of burls that I hope to finish for table tops and wood slabs. Can you recommend a penetrating epoxy that you have confidence in. Also if you have a preference in a clear finish.

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
you guys know the fractal wood burning I discovered the other day and its freaking cool, a wood pot with that also could be nice
Be careful when/if attempting Lichtenberg/fractal wood burning. Lots of power involved and attempting to use wood (relatively non-conductive) to create a circuit can be dangerous

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Oh yeah, it’s a super popular technique as of late and can be done with relative safety given the right setup/precautions. Just wanted to point out this is significantly more dangerous than the average DIY

Top Bottom