Would you still bonsai if leaving country for good?

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
I doubt any trees that are able to survive in Lebanon would be able to handle the climate difference in Montreal.
Not mention you probably wouldnt be able to import them anyway.

Best to start off fresh with species you know can handle the climate where youll be at.

Thats one hell of a move, good luck with that!
Thank you

I think I’m over with that nothing valuable anyway just emotions.

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
If you're ok with the idea of growing from seed, and still would like a piece of the old country, it's not too difficult to hide a fistful of seeds from your favorite species in your luggage. Or do it legitimately. Seeds will weather a quarantine easier, and depending on the species may have lower restrictions anyway. Just a thought.

I've spent almost two years in your region, civilian and military, and I've always heard wonderful things about Lebanon. I always hoped for more peaceful times so I could visit. It's a shame you have to leave. I wish your family the best fortunes.
Great idea, will try.

you only appreciate Lebanon once you visit it, very beautiful country, weather, nature, you literally can ski in the morning and swim at sea in the afternoon (40 min driving) but shitty people governing it for decades and ruining everything on their paths.

Look at a move as an opportunity.

I went through a parallel experience when the plumbers turned off the water while working on pipes and forgot to turn on again when they left for the weekend. We were also away and when I returned the vast majority of my rubbish bonsai were dead. Initially devastated but after all the anger and blame comes the realization that here is a great opportunity. I was able to devote the skills and knowledge I had developed to developing much better trees instead of wasting more time on trees with sentimental value but no real potential.
Convert current stock into cash then use that to start again with trees that have more potential and will thrive in the new climate.

All the best with the move.
Ouch sorry for that, most of my trees are in experimental stage so ugly I doubt anyone would buy😂 maybe i give them to someone to take care since I’ll be visiting Lebanon for business.
Thanks

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
I guess the real pros buy-work-sell in a speed that makes the connection one to break. And every once in a while a tree comes by that stays. In a way it is like any other artform. You spend time with it. But if you have to make a living, you know from the start: It is a short time together, time spent so someone else can have a nice piece of living art.
I’m familiar with that, my profession is goldsmith and 3d jewellery design, as hobbies I paint, pencil draw, sketch,carve but bonsai felt different you can not restart, undo, redo, erase, save, reload, fast forward (only slow motion😁) it’s like i can control all other things but when it comes to bonsai nature reminds you who’s the BOSS just like muscle recovery no shortcuts.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would find a nice spot, close to where you or your family lived and plant those trees in the ground.
If you or your kids ever come back, the trees might still be there.
I think that's kind of poetic, leaving your roots where they formed.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I was supposed to be moving to Europe this month, but our plans were postponed for at least one year due to the pandemic.
If it helps, my plans are selling maples and pines and junipers as they are not so common here in Brazil, and giving away my best tropicals to friends I am sure will take good care of them.
Once in Europe I will try local species which I have always wanted but are impossible in the tropics, like JWP or Beech ou Larch.
Basically I will be switching from BRTs to Olives.
Yes, it makes me excited for the new challenges!

Reactions: YAN

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I do not endorse this message! ;) :) :) :) :)
Should be able to do both.:cool:

Yeap, but it depends where in EU.
In Lisbon it's easy keeping a BRT thriving; in Berlin, not so easy, unless like @leatherback does, you keep the whole winter trying to avoid your wife using them as fuel for the fireplace, as they take all available space indoors...

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
@YAN I hope you have a nice move to Canada!

i haved imported trees into Canada from 6-7 countries now. The permiting goes by species, so if there was a specific tree(s) (or 1-2 species of tree) that you wanted to bring with you to Canada, it would be a pleasure to help you out! (It gets more complicated if you want to bring in an entire collection with, say, 15-20 different species)

Although even a minimal overwintering space can REALLY help with keeping a more diverse range of species, it goes without saying that climate is something to consider

If you’re looking to get more bonsai once you’re in Canada, i have over 70 varieties of PRE-BONSAI (most are sold-out by this time of year), and a wide selection of fine BONSAI available from sellers across Canada

The resources section has a list of study groups, clubs, societies, shops and nursery across Canada, to help you connect with the local community wherever you choose to settle :)

www.canadabonsai.com

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
@YAN I hope you have a nice move to Canada!

i haved imported trees into Canada from 6-7 countries now. The permiting goes by species, so if there was a specific tree(s) (or 1-2 species of tree) that you wanted to bring with you to Canada, it would be a pleasure to help you out! (It gets more complicated if you want to bring in an entire collection with, say, 15-20 different species)

Although even a minimal overwintering space can REALLY help with keeping a more diverse range of species, it goes without saying that climate is something to consider

If you’re looking to get more bonsai once you’re in Canada, i have over 70 varieties of PRE-BONSAI (most are sold-out by this time of year), and a wide selection of fine BONSAI available from sellers across Canada

The resources section has a list of study groups, clubs, societies, shops and nursery across Canada, to help you connect with the local community wherever you choose to settle :)

www.canadabonsai.com
Thank you I appreciate your concern,

just started paperworks they said it can take 12-18 months.

shipement estimation time is 45 days plus 14 days quarantine (for now).

most of my collection are cedars and boxwood.

I’ll make sure to contact you if everything goes well.

thanks again.

Top Bottom