Yamadori Junipers

Reaction score
Hello! Decided to join this forum as I am entirely new to the world of bonsai and although months of YouTube videos and reading articles have been helpful, I feel that I am struggling. 6-weeks ago, I collected two Junipers (Yamadori I guess from trying to learn all the terminology) from my family's property (I think one is a Utah Juniper and the other a Rocky Mountain Juniper), and have placed both in training pots in bonsai soil. I kept as many small roots as I could, as well as the original soil around them, and trimmed back the large ones to allow for root growth. I cleared off some of the foliage deep inside, did a little bit of support wiring (I am sure poorly), and on the Utah Juniper made some Jin and wired them on branches that seemed less-than-healthy. I have been giving them ~5 hours of sunlight daily and watering every other day as it seems the soils becomes mostly dry after 2 days. I waited 4-weeks then fertilized with low-nitrogen fertilizer. Each morning I mist them prior to sunrise, and starting this evening I plan to start misting them in the evenings as well. What I am primarily concerned with is that these Junipers seem to be drying out. Although not losing foliage, they feel much more brittle than they did originally, especially the Utah Juniper. They both seem to have lost some color as well. The "over-watering/under-watering" articles and information leave me never knowing which of the two evils I am partaking in. Seems like fully removing them to check the roots is the only way to truly know which I have been doing, but then also everywhere seems to say how re-planting, moving, etc. Bonsai is hard on them and damages roots and weakens them and so on... So I guess joining this forum and making this post, I am here to ask HELP 😅 thank you!!

Attachments

• tempImageQHFPnf.png
    tempImageQHFPnf.png
    527.8 KB · Views: 75
  • tempImagenKBJEs.png
    tempImagenKBJEs.png
    538 KB · Views: 73

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I fear you may have stressed them to much.
If they are already in those shallow pots, there can’t be a ton of root mass.
The dryness is probably from the roots stress and inability to take up moisture. Any wiring carving or pruning increases the stress.
I would baby these and not touch for a year. By then you will know if they’ve survived the transplant. 😜

Moist not wet. Never bone dry.
Good luck.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
They look dead.

From my understanding, a collected juni needs a year, sometimes two, of undisturbed recovery. That means no pruning, wiring, moving around which can break fine roots, etc.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Sorry to say, but those guys are dead. Your problem is reading watching too much bonsai info without any training from someone who knows what they are doing and is willing to pass on that knowledge. join a club and find a mentor who successfully collects yamadori.
That said, I have collected a lot of junipers in my 40+ years of bonsai... and killed most of them at the beginning. Now I get close to 100% survival. Here are some tips for success.
1. Dig trees early in their annual growth cycle when they are high in energy and ready to grow. Where I collect in the Sierra Nevada that's usually May/June. Remove as little foliage as possible as that is where junipers get their energy and hormones that produce roots.
2. Plant the trees in 100% pumice in the smallest pot/box they will fit. Tie the tree in firmly so It cannot move as new roots develop.
3. Place the trees in filtered sunlight and mist every 2-3 hours. I use an inexpensive hose timer. Cover the soil so it doesn't stay wet but don't let it dry completely.
4. Leave the trees like this undisturbed until new foliage growth extends and new roots can be seen emerging from the bottom of the pot/box. Can take 4 months to over a year.
5. Gradually move the trees to full sun.
6. Don't trim, wire, repot, or disturb the trees for at least another year and foliage shoots or "runners" appear.

This is what works for junipers. Other species are entirely different.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello! Decided to join this forum as I am entirely new to the world of bonsai and although months of YouTube videos and reading articles have been helpful, I feel that I am struggling. 6-weeks ago, I collected two Junipers (Yamadori I guess from trying to learn all the terminology) from my family's property (I think one is a Utah Juniper and the other a Rocky Mountain Juniper), and have placed both in training pots in bonsai soil. I kept as many small roots as I could, as well as the original soil around them, and trimmed back the large ones to allow for root growth. I cleared off some of the foliage deep inside, did a little bit of support wiring (I am sure poorly), and on the Utah Juniper made some Jin and wired them on branches that seemed less-than-healthy. I have been giving them ~5 hours of sunlight daily and watering every other day as it seems the soils becomes mostly dry after 2 days. I waited 4-weeks then fertilized with low-nitrogen fertilizer. Each morning I mist them prior to sunrise, and starting this evening I plan to start misting them in the evenings as well. What I am primarily concerned with is that these Junipers seem to be drying out. Although not losing foliage, they feel much more brittle than they did originally, especially the Utah Juniper. They both seem to have lost some color as well. The "over-watering/under-watering" articles and information leave me never knowing which of the two evils I am partaking in. Seems like fully removing them to check the roots is the only way to truly know which I have been doing, but then also everywhere seems to say how re-planting, moving, etc. Bonsai is hard on them and damages roots and weakens them and so on... So I guess joining this forum and making this post, I am here to ask HELP 😅 thank you!!
If they feel brittle, there are gone.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
This Sea green juniper went yellow but held on to its foliage for over a year later. The branches also remained flexible. F2CC8C73-897A-4E41-A67F-243AF6B0A0EC.jpeg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Because containers that are overly large retain more water than a smaller container. That wet soil actually can inhibit new root growth and/or kill roots.
I see. Thank you!

Top Bottom