Yamadori

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone some help pleAse if possible iv got a hornbeam and an oak tree I can collect before there’s a new shed put there In there place. both have been lobed in the summer and both are alive, Iv been told to maybe leave the hornbeam in my house inside a black bag near a window if possible over the winter what’s the best aftercare ? And with the oak apparentl there are best collected in the summer ? I don’t want to waste my time digging it up if it’s not worth it

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's no way to give useful advice until you let us know where (generally) you live. What kind of oak is it? Do you have outdoor space available, or are you in an apartment?

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
There's no way to give useful advice until you let us know where (generally) you live. What kind of oak is it? Do you have outdoor space available, or are you in an apartment?
That’s true I Live in London UK.it’s winter and it’s going to get a colder next month and rain a fair bit Iv got a garden and a zip up green house my smaller bonsai are in but there’s space in there. Probably a European hornbeam & a English oak

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's kinda like bare rooting the trees. I would pull em up and put them in some compost or wood chips- whatever you have available. Then make sure to get them in a grow pot by March.

I have a white oak I did the same thing with and I like it. I think I pulled mine up in the spring. If you have to get rid of them anyway, what does it hurt to toss them in a pot and see if they grow? I would leave it outside, not in the greenhouse.

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
Also can't tell you if it's worth it without pictures.
The are stumps basically hornbeam over one feet in height 8inch in diameter. Oak 1feet h 6inch diameter not much to look at.

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
It's kinda like bare rooting the trees. I would pull em up and put them in some compost or wood chips- whatever you have available. Then make sure to get them in a grow pot by March.

I have a white oak I did the same thing with and I like it. I think I pulled mine up in the spring. If you have to get rid of them anyway, what does it hurt to toss them in a pot and see if they grow? I would leave it outside, not in the greenhouse.

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
they will be tossed by Tuesday. They was tress before being chopped so I know it’s going to be quite a task iv collected tress before and these are big but you are right it could be very rewarding if they make it !

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
Hornbeam In it’s new home for next coupe years..

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep them outs but protect them from frost. We move al frost sensitive trees to the garage at -5C everything repotted or dug up we move at -1.

and good luck

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
Keep them outs but protect them from frost. We move al frost sensitive trees to the garage at -5C everything repotted or dug up we move at -1.

and good luck
Thanks for the info mate just put in Green house -5 here tonight !

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
they will be tossed by Tuesday. They was tress before being chopped so I know it’s going to be quite a task iv collected tress before and these are big but you are right it could be very rewarding if they make it !
If you have a garden, pull them up and plant them in the garden to overwinter them. Put them in a pot in the spring

Jcreed

Seedling
Reaction score
If you have a garden, pull them up and plant them in the garden to overwinter them. Put them in a pot in the spring
Thank you !

Attachments

• 9E534448-D83E-4861-BE0C-61128D20BA0A.jpeg
    9E534448-D83E-4861-BE0C-61128D20BA0A.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 24
Top Bottom