Yaupon Holly

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Surprisingly, it's not too bad, in a mica pot and nothing but fine roots under the soil level!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here are the other two, potted. Two out of the three have sold. The one in the blue pot has a couple admirers, but I haven't decided yet if its available...:p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 185

fore

Omono
Reaction score
That one in the blue pot is Really beautiful Brian! Wish I could add my name to the list ;)
But I can see why you're considering keeping it though

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Well, 2.5 years and several sessions later, it's starting to take shape.
In 2013 I sawed off some pretty big branches, and let it grow until summer of 2014:
image.jpg
And in the fall, I very hastily pruned and wired it:
image.jpg
By Spring 2015, it was filling in again:
image.jpg
In late summer, the wires were nearly buried:
image.jpg
It took a while, think I found them all, and pruned it back just a little:
image.jpg
Starting to like the back quite a bit:
image.jpg
Next spring I'll prune it pretty hard again and let it run. The right side is a little loose, and it should tighten up well over the next year.

Last edited:

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Can you drastically prune all hollys or can you only do it to yaupons?

Such as the ones found in the wild?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you get berries on this ever? Would look wonderful with berries I think...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey, saw the bad weather down your way, hope you are safe tonight. Looks very scary.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aren't there male and female yaupons?

Scott
Scott, you are correct and the confusion begins with cultivars. Typically landscape shrubs "clones" are propagated for a specific reason. In the case of this one - nana- the trait happens to be dwarf. This cultivar also happens to be male. Confusion reigns when seeing some Yaupon with fruit and others not. It just depends on the sex of the sport or chance seedling.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Scott, you are correct and the confusion begins with cultivars. Typically landscape shrubs "clones" are propagated for a specific reason. In the case of this one - nana- the trait happens to be dwarf. This cultivar also happens to be male. Confusion reigns when seeing some Yaupon with fruit and others not. It just depends on the sex of the sport or chance seedling.

That's really interesting. So all nana's are male? If so, I'll stop waiting for fruit to appear on any of mine.

Scott

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's really interesting. So all nana's are male? If so, I'll stop waiting for fruit to appear on any of mine.

Scott
Scott, if you are into a little voyeurism o_O When they bloom in the spring look closely at the flower. May need magnification. Male flowers have no pistil but "lots" of stamen.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Mike!
I was being guarded close.
Nice assist Smoke.

Here my current problem......
QuickMemo+_2015-12-26-12-21-59.png

If it wasnt for the Dr. Seuss ass Smoke like Avatar it wouldn't be so bad.....ignoring it doesn't make it go away.......and of COURSE it has to be Good trees and Everyone has to go tell BVF how nice his new camera is..... And my only concern is for the little poops.....small as they are.....who is picken em up?

See that ERIC? OH......you almost made it on the screen but HELL no.....all this Christian / Jewish / Muslim updating is completely taken over ............

Maybe this should be in the Chest clearing thread....Im gonna pop a snot bubble on my screen on purpose!

Sorce

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
well...at least he can go outside. Really cold here. Like I remember 5 or 8 years ago. Supposed to be 27 here tonight and for the next few days. Thats pretty cold for here.

Top Bottom