Yews in autumn

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
I wanted to get some opinions on what can be done with yews from September on into autumn (zone 7). I've always done work on them in spring, but I wasn't able to do much this year because of some injuries to my arms. From what I've read, it seems many sources recommend pruning and wiring in autumn, as well as some needle plucking in order to promote back budding for branch development...
My yews have all been in their original grow pots since collection, and they've been left to grow for several years... anyone have opinions on doing extensive pruning this time of year?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have 2 that were collected last year, so I won't be touching them for a while...doing well though.

I have one that is going to be wired up and styled this winter, which will include some needle plucking...I'll wait till its good and cold, mid winter...

I also have a few that I wired up this summer, and all is well with them.

This is my third year messing with yews, and I'm still learning them, and what they like best...
I think, by this time next year, I'll have a good grasp of the taxus.

Thus far, I'm liking the idea of letting them grow all year and doing all work in winter, minus repotting, which needs to wait till buds are moving in early spring.

Maybe sprinkle in some summer pruning as well, just the vigorous shoots mainly.

daudelus

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I think I'm just running up against the horticulture rule that was always driven into me about autumn being the worst time to prune because of the way it pushes new growth that won't harden off and get damaged by cold...
they will be left out and mulched in the wintertime... the garage will be filled with smaller trees!

Reaction score
If you're collecting yes, be careful / check to make sure the yew you are collecting is not a "recent" air layer. In our west coast rainforest (jungle, lol), low branches get covered with moss and naturally air layer. Sadly, these branches usually only grow a few roots and are hard to keep alive once they are collected (as i found out a long time ago).

Top Bottom