Young JBP with too much foliage?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Neem meal? Had to look that one up. Very interesting! 🤔
Has been used in other cultures for fertilizer base for a very long time. The oil is well known in Bonsai for insecticidal properties and as a deterrent from its bitter taste and odour.
Google http:/reindeernaturals.ca This website explains the properties of the product and similar options very well. This is a local company on Vancouver Island but the Neem Meal base is available worldwide, the byproduct of processing the plant for the oil.
The Neem Meal itself is low numbers NPK, which gives one the option to vary the additional components for NPK to suit particular circumstances using the same base.
Blood meal to increase Nitrogen
Bone Meal to increase Phosphorous
Liquid Fish Fertilizer for micronutrients and humid acids.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would suggest trying to get more movement low in the trunk. As it grows out, any movement you have will get more subtle. Starting with subtle movement may result in less than you want for your tree.

Dartfrog

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Consider some root work to develop proper nebari while the tree is till young. Root improvement is much easier with young stock.
I'm seeing some strong superficial roots that I'm not sure if I'll be able to remove without risking losing the tree, mainly this one:

20210314_171838.jpg

Do you think removing it would be a good idea in next repotting (in two years approx)? Would you do it right now? Or would you keep it?

🦎

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm seeing some strong superficial roots that I'm not sure if I'll be able to remove without risking losing the tree, mainly this one:

View attachment 368019

Do you think removing it would be a good idea in next repotting (in two years approx)? Would you do it right now? Or would you keep it?

🦎
My approach would be to use a ball cutter to reduce the strong root by cutting at the root and reducing its thickness by half. The reasoning is that the tree will reduce it's reliance on the strong root as well as the strong root will not grow as vigorously after wounding. The tree still gets some support from a main root while other roots lower down increase in strength. Then, next repot it is safer to remove the larger root.
This is a good example of how taking some time can maintain a healthier tree while it is steadily being developed and improved. Just takes patience.

Top Bottom