Washington Hawthorn Shohin Progression

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Setbacks like this stink, but I think you are underestimating the progress you made...even in spite of the setback. To my eyes this tree has advanced quite a bit since the pictures you posted from fall 2022.
Thank you, I appreciate your saying so. One question: how often can I prune back a hawthorn during the growing season? I think some branches could benefit from it right now

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you, I appreciate your saying so. One question: how often can I prune back a hawthorn during the growing season? I think some branches could benefit from it right now
Don't know the answer to that and it will be a bit different in different climates. If I had to guess, you should be ok to prune back a couple of shoots that are showing very vigorous growth (extensions of at 5+ nodes). There will be another opportunity to do small twig pruning within ~10 days of leaf drop in the fall.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
lightly wired this guy today. I also cleaned and improved the transitions. Now, wait for the colors!

07B8B70D-F1AA-408E-9A86-D6807B1152F3.jpeg07B8B70D-F1AA-408E-9A86-D6807B1152F3.jpeg99BB425D-9355-4789-A8F2-1074820D8E0B.jpeg

Attachments

• EF97D18F-8512-4167-BAEE-1DC1DEF27EEE.jpeg
    EF97D18F-8512-4167-BAEE-1DC1DEF27EEE.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 38

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hawthorns are usually pruned once after the first flush has hardened off. Then again after summer to remove any extensions. The first cutback usually yields a good deal of bud back. Ours will backbud on old wood at the node…. and sometimes at other places.

That said, the best way to develop these are a little wire and a good deal of clip and grow. However in this specific case it looks like the best way to proceed is wired sacrifice branches with 1-2 x year cutback as indicated by the tree‘s growth patterns.

Cheers
DSD sends

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hawthorns are usually pruned once after the first flush has hardened off. Then again after summer to remove any extensions. The first cutback usually yields a good deal of bud back. Ours will backbud on old wood at the node…. and sometimes at other places.

That said, the best way to develop these are a little wire and a good deal of clip and grow. However in this specific case it looks like the best way to proceed is wired sacrifice branches with 1-2 x year cutback as indicated by the tree‘s growth patterns.

Cheers
DSD sends
That's exactly what I have done so far. I have noticed that the tree responds better to clip and grow rather than to defoliation (I was forced to do it due to anthracnose). I will cut back the sacrifices once they are pencil thick at the base. I will select shoots after leaf fall. I cloned the tree, so in the future I can use the clones to provide branches to be grafted where needed.

Considering all that happened to this tree this summer, I am not at all unhappy with it.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great!

Disease magnets for sure! Could be the various rusts hawthorns are known to trade back and forth with other species.

We have to studiously apply copper to hawthorns. Start of winter, when budding and after the leaves begin to push, but aren’t quite hardened and once again after summer.

cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I’d be interested in your results with wire I have a few of the black Hawthorne that had branches that were wired die off when either branches moved with guy wire or not wired lived.
I don’t think it was bad wire application, so just wondering what you observe as you wire this out.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’d be interested in your results with wire I have a few of the black Hawthorne that had branches that were wired die off when either branches moved with guy wire or not wired lived.
I don’t think it was bad wire application, so just wondering what you observe as you wire this out.
I will certainly report my results. I wired the sacrifices about a month ago, and so far so good

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We a number of English Hawthorns. They react well to being wired. Like an azalea the wood is harder than normal, so guaging up for bends is key.

Cheers
DSD sends

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Unfortunately, the leaders of the middle and left trunks died during the winter. Fortunately, there are viable shoots in the middle trunk that I can train as the new leader/first branch combo. The left trunk got cut off to the first branch, which will now be the new leader. I think this gives more movement to the tree, and balances out the overall canopy.

IMG_5103.jpegIMG_5104.jpegIMG_5147.jpegIMG_5145.jpeg

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think you were spot on, @PonderingSage: I wired the second leader back in late January, and it never woke up this Spring. I lost one other branch to wiring too. It might have been faulty technique on my part, but I think I will only lightly wire this guy and use more clip and grow

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A month later and this guy is growing strong. Regular applications of Immunox seem to have been effective at keeping the rust away. I will prune back those shoots and lightly wire some later today or tomorrow when I have some time

IMG_5263.jpeg

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I finally got around to prune back this guy. I also very lightly used a guy wire to correct the position of one branch. Inlost branches to wiring before, including one intended to be the next section of one of the trunks. I did not want to risk it now that they are so tender.

IMG_5269.jpegIMG_5269.jpegIMG_5268.jpegIMG_5270.jpeg

Top Bottom