2 European Hornbeams - almost flawless yamadori material

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Here's update for this year. I removed big branch from the larger one - tried to airlayer it beucause it had interesting subtle movement, some taper as well. Although it had some roots there were not many of the, But I stuck it into substrate - hornbeams are vigorous and it had lots of energy accumulated so it maybe will grow some roots. There is not much growth from last year - it has been recovering from repot and some substantial root reduction.
DSC_0053.JPG DSC_0054.JPG DSC_0055.JPG DSC_0056.JPG DSC_0057.JPG DSC_0058.JPG

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@R3x stop making me jealous ;). Honestly though, both the eye for collection (and luck at finding those gold mines) is impressive. Don't let us down in development!

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here's update for this year. I removed big branch from the larger one - tried to airlayer it beucause it had interesting subtle movement, some taper as well. Although it had some roots there were not many of the, But I stuck it into substrate - hornbeams are vigorous and it had lots of energy accumulated so it maybe will grow some roots. There is not much growth from last year - it has been recovering from repot and some substantial root reduction.
View attachment 290277 View attachment 290278 View attachment 290273 View attachment 290274 View attachment 290275 View attachment 290276
Damn nice material

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The other one is great as well. I just realized I photographed it from quite a bad angle and also there is some "noise" in the background. I'll get better photo and post it.
I like the first best, but they are both great finds.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Awesomeness!
What kind of substrate are you using?
I use what is called Zeolite on most of my trees. Pure - no other things. On Wikipedia there is an article - I guess what I have and is generally available here as a filtering material for ponds is the artificial one. You can buy it in large amount for really cheap in places where they sell sands and gravel for construction - like 25kg bag for 5EUR. The last one (literati) is (for now) in Akadama, but will be moved to Zeolite eventually. It is great for root development (lots of aeriation), holds just enough moisture but provides great drainage and is virtually indestructible/reusable (as opposed to Akadama for example). The only downside is that it is quite heavy. On the other hand it stabilizes pots pretty well.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
@R3x stop making me jealous ;). Honestly though, both the eye for collection (and luck at finding those gold mines) is impressive. Don't let us down in development!
I have collected all of these at the same place - just few meters apart in the old quarry. But before I discovered them I walked hours and hours looking for some material with at least a bit of interesting features. These are my jewels. I am trying my best to make the the best out of them.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have collected all of these at the same place - just few meters apart in the old quarry. But before I discovered them I walked hours and hours looking for some material with at least a bit of interesting features. These are my jewels. I am trying my best to make the the best out of them.
I see a summer trip coming up to a quarry.. Only a few thousand kms to you..

Nice find!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Incredible finds. Do you know if the trees were grazed by animals to keep them small, or is this just the habit of your native hornbeams? I know that people in my state (Oregon) have found hawthorns that are kept bonsai size due to cattle grazing.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Incredible finds. Do you know if the trees were grazed by animals to keep them small, or is this just the habit of your native hornbeams? I know that people in my state (Oregon) have found hawthorns that are kept bonsai size due to cattle grazing.
Actually, neither. Native hornbeams grow straight up to be quite tall - up to 20m approximately. The first (biigest) and fourth (literati) grew just meter apart on the slope of the quarry where soil was being eorded away by water and wind. There's a photo of the environment and the tree in its original form here: https://www.bonsainut.com/attachments/img_20161204_1456374-jpg.139698/

The quarry (closed for a long time) is full of large and smaller boulders being covered by a bit of soil. The second one grew on top of such heap and couldn't send the roots downwards so it developed such nice nebari (planning to improve it where it's lacking) - see here https://www.bonsainut.com/attachments/img_20161204_1501529-jpg.139699/. The third one (twisty ganrly) grew from crevice between boulders and was crushed partially by other fallen boulders.

However I found a spot nearby where trees are cut down by grazing deers. I collected 2 smaller trees with great potential there but unfortunately they both died (collected too early probably). You can see them here: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/t...eup-hornbeams-and-larch-2-garden-pines.32972/ There still are some trees there that I plan to collect but I din't go there this year. Maybe I'll go today...

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
You actually inspired me to go and check that grazing site. Initially I thought it was too late and too warm (used be to +20 Celcius during day) but the temperatures dropped dramatically. It was +2 during the day and it snowed for few minutes in the mountains while I dug. My two sons went with me to play while I dug. And I have brought home 2 nice trees. This first one is a bit 2-dimensional (lacking depth) but from one side the overall shape is nice. Had to take pictures unpotted while there was light. I ran out of Zeolite so I potted to common garden soil but put into grow bags.

DSC_0018.jpg DSC_0019.jpg DSC_0020.jpg DSC_0021.jpg DSC_0022.jpg DSC_0023.jpg DSC_0024.jpg DSC_0025.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You actually inspired me to go and check that grazing site. Initially I thought it was too late and too warm (used be to +20 Celcius during day) but the temperatures dropped dramatically. It was +2 during the day and it snowed for few minutes in the mountains while I dug. My two sons went with me to play while I dug. And I have brought home 2 nice trees. This first one is a bit 2-dimensional (lacking depth) but from one side the overall shape is nice. Had to take pictures unpotted while there was light. I ran out of Zeolite so I potted to common garden soil but put into grow bags.

View attachment 290515 View attachment 290516 View attachment 290517 View attachment 290518 View attachment 290519 View attachment 290520 View attachment 290521 View attachment 290522
Wow! Super interesting how that site has produced such incredible trees. Thanks for the pictures and write up. What a gold mine!

Top Bottom