2007 Carolina Bonsai Expo

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to share some info concerning the upcoming 2007 Carolina Bonsai Expo. It is the North Carolina Arboretum's web address.

http://www.ncarboretum.org/Horticul...xpo/2007_carolina_bonsai_expo_brief_intro.htm

The Carolina Bonsai Expo is an excellent event, admission is free, I think parking is $6. If you are going to be in the North Carolina mountains the second week of October, the 2007 Carolina Bonsai Expo is worth visiting. If you are not, it is still worth visiting!

Regards,
Martin

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Chris,

"Man we have to get some of that stuff in the great plains!"

The mountains or the Expo?

Regards,
Martin

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
do you have any info as to what the demo is that Brussels Martin is doing Saturday night? and what the cost is, how you register??? Looking forward to fall colors in Asheville, convention or not!

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cubbie,

Meant to reply earlier, life got in the way.

I do not know what the Brussel Martin Saturday Demonstration topic or cost will be. I do not know that Arthur Joura has announced it yet. He did say in August when he was in Charlotte that Brussel was not being offered material to work on a forest with. Of course if Brussel insists.... Arthur said the demo material would be a single tree, I am guessing it will be something from the Arboretum collection, but do not know. I could not see the cost to attend the demo being more than $15. Members of the Arboretum get a discount. I do not think you have to register for the Saturday Demo, but you may have to stand at the back if you get there late!

Arthur did release information about the workshops to the leaders of the clubs who are showing trees at the Expo, but not to the general public at this point. Randy Clark, Jim Doyle and Brussel Martin will all be leading workshops. I will try to post a link or text concerning what is being offered when Arthur sends it out to the general public.

Are you planning on going?

Regards,
Martin

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. yes, i do plan on going. As a matter of fact, I would be going up there even if there wasn't an expo, fall is my most favorite time of year but it just doesn't cut it here in FL. the colors are amazing! I live in FL but insist on a fall color driving trip every year. Keep us all posted as to events and thanks again!

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cubbie,

The latest from the Arboretum concerning the 2007 Expo:

"2007 CAROLINA BONSAI EXPO MAIN EVENT
"The Culture and Art of Bonsai"
Saturday, October 13th, 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM

Internationally recognized bonsai authority and 2007 Carolina Bonsai Expo
guest artist Brussel Martin provides a program that examines both the
horticultural and artistic aspects of bonsai.

Through the use of a video presentation specially made for this event, Mr.
Martin will first conduct a behind the scenes tour of Brussel's Bonsai
Nursery, the premier bonsai nursery in the United States. In addition to
discussing the operations of the nursery, he will share his wealth of
experience in bonsai cultivation techniques. Then, in a live demonstration,
Mr. Martin will explain his artistic approach by styling a specimen pine of
unusual variety - 'Spaan's Dwarf' Coastal Pine (Pinus contorta).

Brussel Martin is well known and respected in bonsai circles. He began
cultivating and selling bonsai in the 1970's, building his business to
eventually become the largest grower and importer of quality bonsai in the
United States. Mr. Martin is a frequent traveler to China and Japan, and has
made countless presentations at bonsai conventions and symposia across the
country. Brussel's Bonsai Nursery is located in Olive Branch, MS.

The cost of this program is $10 for Arboretum members and $13 for
non-members, and the 100 available spaces will be sold on a first come,
first served basis. Reservations can be made by phone ((828) 665-2492) or in
person at the Arboretum; sorry, but no reservations may be made via the
Internet. Reservations must be secured by payment, either by credit card at
the time of registration or by personal check received within 5 working days
of the time of registration.

Reservations will be taken beginning at 9:00 AM on Monday, September 17. No
reservations will be accepted prior to that time.

2007 CAROLINA BONSAI EXPO WORKSHOPS

Dates and times have been announced for two workshops to be conducted in
conjunction with the 2007 Carolina Bonsai Expo.
These educational programs will take place in the comfort of the Arboretum's
Greenhouse Support Facility, and will be open only to participants - no
"observer" positions are available.

Sunday, October 14, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Randy Clark of The Bonsai Learning Center in Charlotte, NC will conduct a
workshop program for beginner bonsai students.

Mr. Clark is an internationally recognized bonsai authority, whose lively
spirit and animated style make him a popular teacher. His Bonsai Learning
Center in Charlotte attracts serious students from across the region. As a
special addition to this year's Expo, he has graciously agreed to conduct a
workshop specifically for beginner bonsai students. The objective of this
program is to provide an easy entry-level experience that provides each
participant with a simple little bonsai and the information necessary to
successfully keep it alive. Class size is limited to 10 (ten) students, to
ensure that each participant receives a generous share of personal
attention. The price of the workshop includes a young juniper plant, glazed
bonsai container, soil, wire and a book on bonsai basics. Participants may
bring their own tools if they have them or use tools provided for the class,
which must be returned at the end of the session.

The cost of this workshop is $55 for Arboretum members and $60 for
non-members, and the 10 available spaces will be sold on a first come, first
served basis. Reservations can be made by phone ((828) 665-2492) or in
person at the Arboretum; sorry, but no reservations may be made via the
Internet. Reservations must be secured by payment, either by credit card at
the time of registration or by personal check received within 5 working days
of the time of registration."

I hope posting the above is OK with BonsaiNut's policies. Please let me know if it is not.
Regards,
Martin

cray13

Sapling
Reaction score
Just registered for Brussel's demo/lecture via phone. Staff was very polite and registration was a breeze.

Thanks for posting this info Martin! If you hadn't posted this here I probably would not have found out about it until the demo was full.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cray 13 and Cubbie,

Glad that the info is of use to you. I hope to be at the Expo on Friday to help set up my Club's display. I plan on heading home Friday evening and returning either Saturday or Sunday with the wife and maybe the kids.

Cubbie, I am afraid the on going drought here in North Carolina may harm the usually waxing fall colors in the Asheville area for this years expo, but I hope for the best. There are many other wonderful things to see in the general area. Chimney Rock and Linville Gorge and Falls come to mind, as well as the Blue Ridge Parkway, Grandfather Mountain and Mount Mitchell.

Regards,
Martin

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
that was a wonderful photo slide show...... can't wait to get to this year's expo!

Rusty Harris

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My club, The Bonsai Society of the Carolinas, chose the members trees to be displayed at the Expo this year. We had our annual picnic and then selected the trees (can't pick trees on an empty stomach, ya' know). Of the trees I brought to be considered, none were selected, but one of the three came pretty close and was given much consideration. I wasn't at all disappointed, but proud that one of mine was given serious consideration:) .

I will be attending the Expo on Sunday, and look forward to meeting those folk in person that I have met only online, as well as other friends I don't see that often that are planning to attend.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello all,
Returned from the 2007 Carolina Bonsai Expo earlier this evening. Played around with the picture files for about an hour and here is what I was able to get to load to BonsaiNut. I have some more to share, but not until sometime tomorrow. It is too late and I am tired of not being able to work my own computer!

1st here is a picture of a California Juniper that was exhibited in the Nashville Bonsai Society Display. I thought it unusual to see one here in the South, and looking pretty good.

2nd here is a picture of a literati Shimpaku Juniper that was displayed in a tokonoma type display by the Hinoki Bonsai Society of Roanoke Va. I really liked this tree as well.

Regards,
Martin

Ps. If anyone else took some pictures, please post them!

Attachments

• Cal Jun.JPG
    Cal Jun.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 21
  • HBS Literati.JPG
    HBS Literati.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is quite impressive in a California Juniper. I'd like to find out who owns it, how long they have had it, and how they care for it! Folks around here wrote off California juniper years ago, saying it wouldn't grow here. I have suspected for some time that is was lack of knowledge.

cray13

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello all,
Returned from the 2007 Carolina Bonsai Expo earlier this evening. Played around with the picture files for about an hour and here is what I was able to get to load to BonsaiNut. I have some more to share, but not until sometime tomorrow. It is too late and I am tired of not being able to work my own computer!

1st here is a picture of a California Juniper that was exhibited in the Nashville Bonsai Society Display. I thought it unusual to see one here in the South, and looking pretty good.

2nd here is a picture of a literati Shimpaku Juniper that was displayed in a tokonoma type display by the Hinoki Bonsai Society of Roanoke Va. I really liked this tree as well.

Regards,
Martin

Ps. If anyone else took some pictures, please post them!

I apologize in advance for the quality of these images. I tried to avoid using my flash and without a tripod/monopod I had trouble holding the camera still enough to allow for the slower shutter speed that was necessary. The images are a little dark in some cases and a little blurry in others. Click on each image for a much larger version.

I will update the images this evening so that each image has a caption with species and club affiliation for each tree. There should be an image for every entry in the expo. (85 I think) as well as images of the vendor area.

The images for the 2007 expo can be viewed HERE.

Also, the images from the 2006 expo can be viewed HERE for those interested.

Enjoy. As always, these images can not replace seeing these trees in person. The expo was inspirational and was very well attended. Overflow parking was necessary on Saturday to accomodate the crowd.

If anyone knows the results please post them. I had to leave early Sunday afternoon and did not hear the people's choice or club winner.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cray13,
The winners were:
Best in Show as picked by Brussell Martin - Seiju Elm Grove, Nashville Bonsai Society
Best in Show - People's choice - Seiju Elm Grove, Nashville Bonsai Society
Best in Show - Displaying Club Members vote - Seiju Elm Grove, Nashville Bonsai Society
Pretty unanimous!
Best Club Display as picked by Brussell Martin - Hinoki Bonsai Society
Best Club Display - Curator's Award as picked by Arthur Joura - Bonsai SOCIETY of South Carolina

There may have been another award given out, but I did not take notes.

Regards,
Martin

Ps from your link of pictures, here is the Best in Show: IMG_2796.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom