2015 Bonsai Nut Spring Box Store Challenge Kickoff

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well.... went looking for material during my work break yesterday, hit up 3 nurseries, and managed to find something. They had boxwoods, and they had boxwoods, so I opted for a boxwood.

As I'm moving very soon, I realised that whatever wire I have is packed in a box somewhere among other boxes, so it might end up just being a clip and grow initial first styling unless I can get some wire from somewhere before the deadline is up. Excuses excuses.

I'm entering as a beginner.

It's a Green Mountain Boxwood.

Do I need to include a better photo of the tree? Let me know, as I'll be hacking away at it tomorrow.

BSC_01.jpg BSC_02.jpg

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Buxus sempervirens qualifies. You're good to go and good luck. Don't forget, you can ask up to three questions if needed.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks like it flowered very well! Nice! Now get to work :p
I have a plan, and a pretty chunky trunk to work with! I am a little worried it won't be a stunning bonsai immediately to be something real showy for this contest... But I am not going to set back the development of this tree by a full season either... Kind of a tough spot I guess...

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would strike a balance between what's best for the future of the tree and what you feel is a presentable image for the contest. When all else fails, refer to post #9.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I have a plan, and a pretty chunky trunk to work with! I am a little worried it won't be a stunning bonsai immediately to be something real showy for this contest... But I am not going to set back the development of this tree by a full season either... Kind of a tough spot I guess...

If I understand the contest, Walter will be able to tell where your work is taking the tree and be judging according to the skill exhibited in the work and the decisions made. Not necessarily the immediate appearance of the tree.

Reactions: Vin

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If I understand the contest, Walter will be able to tell where your work is taking the tree and be judging according to the skill exhibited in the work and the decisions made. Not necessarily the immediate appearance of the tree.
I know, but... In a challenge like this, you want a TREE to show off, not the bones of what might be a good tree one day. Well, we will see how she looks in about two weeks. I went ahead and made most the major chops to encourage some back budding. The last Kurume I worked over was right at two weeks ago and it just started popping new little buds all over, so I do not think it will get to fully leaf out in the time allowed.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just found a nursery 90 miles away that's open!

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, I'm sad I never got around to entering another tree. The boxwood dying really deflated my enthusiasm. When will the winner be announced? And where is the twist posted?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Last edited:
Top Bottom