2015 BSC (Box Store Challenge) Update Thread

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I thought the mealy bugs in the roots were going to spell the end of my entry, but it is starting to look healthy again. Won't have time to develop nebari by September, but I think it'll be alive.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    365.3 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I thought the mealy bugs in the roots were going to spell the end of my entry, but it is starting to look healthy again. Won't have time to develop nebari by September, but I think it'll be alive.
Thanks for the update. I've been fighting with mealy bugs this year as well. Fertilome Triple Action has worked well for me. Trust me, yours is looking better than mine.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bump

Havent forgotten, just havent gotten to it yet. 9 more days before the deadline.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Bump

Havent forgotten, just havent gotten to it yet. 9 more days before the deadline.
I'll probably wait the entire nine days as well. A month ago I didn't figure I'd have much to look at but in the past few weeks there have been loads of new buds and several shoots that are already about 3 inches long. There's hope yet!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll probably wait the entire nine days as well. A month ago I didn't figure I'd have much to look at but in the past few weeks there have been loads of new buds and several shoots that are already about 3 inches long. There's hope yet!

My experience has been the opposite. I repotted it in March/April and it took off. I needs a trim and more wire before I can take a picture....lol

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Got this trimmed and wired. Wiring this was a real pain. I broke 6 of the new branches trying to wire them to the ends. Took me over 3 hours but I finally got it done. It was repotted in April.

June2016.jpg

Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Got this trimmed and wired. Wiring this was a real pain. I broke 6 of the new branches trying to wire them to the ends. Took me over 3 hours but I finally got it done. It was repotted in April.

View attachment 109417
Wow! That really looks good. You've moved this tree along very nicely and I'm sure it's going to be tough to beat.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow! That really looks good. You've moved this tree along very nicely and I'm sure it's going to be tough to beat.

Thanks, I'm pretty pleased and surprised by its progress too!
Full disclosure: I showed the tree to John Romano in March and he gave me a some great advice for design.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks, I'm pretty pleased and surprised by its progress too!
Full disclosure: I showed the tree to John Romano in March and he gave me a some great advice for design.
That is exactly the way this challenge was supposed to work. His advice has resulted in a very nice image. :)

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice. Frankly, I'm just glad I kept mine alive after the mealy bug infestation.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpeg

@f1pt4 @bones101 I don't want to rush you but the cutoff for updates is midnight tonight.

Lol *^%#*^#.
I went to the movies last night and forgot. Hey! We got a long weekend over here!

I might as well be disqualified, but here is the boxwood any ways. I fear the Hail Mary may have been too little too late.

I actually don't know what will be alive in September as I may or may not have broken a couple branches along the way.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bones hasn't been to the forums since March so I doubt he saw this.

Edit: correction......SHE....posted after me...lol

Top Bottom