2019 Collecting Something2

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the second tree I collected yesterday, this was the largest pot I had to put it in. If it goes well I will build a box for it next year. I was out of the turface and bark mix so I used this gray stone (somewhat porous) mix for an older tree. I realize the chance of bringing something in with old soil but that is what my budget allows for this. I did get a picture of the leaves on this one, have not identified it yet.

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1501.jpgIMG_1502.jpgIMG_1507.jpgIMG_1509.jpgIMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1518.jpgIMG_1521.jpgIMG_1523.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Definitely privet. Great radial roots and base on this one. The challenge will be to reduce height, introduce taper, while preventing significant dieback and rotting. They’re tough as nails...in the ground.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Brian, I favor this one more than the first but did not get near as many fine roots. Did not know the height I wanted, it is always hard for me to cut way back. I have learned that we have to account for the new top growth and how tall that will make the total height. I cut left side just above the V just in case that was the top it would still have the split. From what you say sounds like these should go back more and start a new apex...
I did not consider putting them in the ground as the trunk and roots were good size. I will see what they do this spring.

Top Bottom