2019 fall colour

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
A few cool nights over this side and some of my deciduous trees are starting to put on a bit of a show.

Trident maple group
P1210373.JPG

My ginkgo has just started to change but in case we get some bad weather I'll post this now.
P1210369.JPG

More as they start to look good.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
How old is the Ginkgo, @Shibui ? Trees are looking good and I wonder if you know is chi chi pre disposed to grow on certain varieties? Maybe @Brian Van Fleet can chip in? I'm field growing one and I'm just going to let him run so I'd be interested if it's a growth / age or genetics thing?

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Love the color on the Trident. Its spring here so mine is just green.
But fall will be here before we know it. Right now it's just getting hot and raining a lot.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
How old is the Ginkgo, @Shibui ? Trees are looking good and I wonder if you know is chi chi pre disposed to grow on certain varieties? Maybe @Brian Van Fleet can chip in? I'm field growing one and I'm just going to let him run so I'd be interested if it's a growth / age or genetics thing?
Sorry, I’ve already shared everything I know and more about ginkgo.?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Trees are looking good and I wonder if you know is chi chi pre disposed to grow on certain varieties?
I don't have access to named varieties of ginkgo so can't comment on whether some produce chichi more than others. When I found out about these growths on Ginkgo I was pleased to see one growing on the front of this trunk. This tree is around 40 years now and in a pot for about 15 of those years. tree is 81 cm tall, including the pot.
Chichi may have some genetic relationship but I'm pretty sure more related to age rather than size of the trunk.
I also have a couple in the grow beds now to see how they respond.

NICE small leaf size on that trident group.
Thanks Gary. That group is just 50cm tall including the pot. Trees at somewhere around 20-25 years old. The group was assembled when the trees were quite young. The grouping had a couple of adjustments in the first few years to fix some problems I didn't notice while placing the trunks initially but I'm happy with the arrangement now.
There is one trunk in there that was pruned by a long necked house cow many years ago. The cow is long gone but that trunk still hasn't caught up to the others in the group.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
More and more trees are responding to the cooler nights

Trident maple around 45 cm tall
P1210452.JPG

The gingko now close to full colour
P1210456.JPG

Triple trunk trident
P1210457.JPG

Another trident. This one is actually root over rock but the rock is small and the roots have just about swallowed it.
P1210459.JPG

and finally another trident. this one developed for the strong trunk movement. Just over 1' tall
P1210462.JPG

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That last trident is very nice, love the movement. Thanks for the colorful post. What is a “house cow” ? ?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
What is a “house cow” ? ?
Dairy cow kept to supply milk for the family. Her name was cuddles because she was quite affectionate. Hand reared from a few days old.
I was on a self sufficiency crusade for about 25 years. Cows and milking goats supply milk for us to make our own butter, cheese, youghurt, etc. Large orchard, vegetable garden, bees, pigs, poultry. You name it I've probably tried growing it.

That last trident is very nice, love the movement.
Earlier tridents were grown fast and tended to be upright - telephone poles. After I noticed the trend I started to plant seedlings at more of an angle to get better initial trunk movement. This one had even better shape than most so I've kept it to develop further. Only about 10 years old yet and still developing ramification.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Still relatively warm here. We've had one night with ice on the car windshield so far. Many of the deciduous bonsai are just turning brown before dropping leaves but a couple have produced a little colour.
Here's a couple of Japanese maples that have managed to get into party clothes
P1210576.JPG

This one is having a rest from being bonsai. A fungal infection killed the lowest branch and associated root leaving a section of trunk dead. I've been treating the exposed wood to try to preserve it while the bark slowly grows back. Maybe I should look at possible hollow trunk or just ditch it.
P1210572.JPG

Here's a largish zelkova. Probably only part way through colouring but leaves are dropping as quick as the next ones change so probably won't get significantly better this year.
P1210522.JPG

In the garden a few of the deciduous trees are making an attempt at an autumn show.
P1210578.JPG
P1210582.JPG

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Now that the leaves are gone I can show you the trident group that the cow helped with.

P1210639.JPG

The cow incident was probably nearly 20 years ago but the tree still wears the scars.
P1210641.JPG

Meanwhile, autumn has finally hit the garden here
P1210685.JPG
P1210690.JPG

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some really great and beautiful trees you have there @Shibui!

Looks like I may be the first from the northern hemisphere to post autumn colors? Below a photo of various trees that are still quite green with the exception of my cascading Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia) which always is the first to signal that autumn is here!

IMG_2870.jpg

Top Bottom