2019 From seed

Cattwooduk

Shohin
Reaction score
My paperbark maple seeds arrived today. Bought the biggest quantity they offer as it worked out best value. That and I know the viability of griseum is generally low. I cracked a few open to check and about 1/3 had embryos so hopefully I'll get a few sprouting! They won't be for bonsai, just always wanted to grow a few paperbarks!20190207_210135.jpg

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I also planted Acer Griseum this year,

I was told it needs 1 year stratification, if you planted it in the ground it will germinate in 2nd spring.
So what Ive don't, i planted half of my seeds in the tray last November and left them outside - not expecting any germination this year from it.
However i read that you can break dormancy by cold-hot-cold stratification process, so i had seeds in the fridge for 3 months and now i move them to warm spot, will keep them there for a month and back to the fridge for another 2 months.
So im planning to plant them sometime in May and i hope i will get some.

Same story with Acer Triflorum

In general its hard to get them germinated, this is my first attempt to do it.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Tough to see but some more randomised Eucalyptus are coming up, I planted 3 or 4 types in that tray so it is likely one of them.

IMG_20190210_120446440.jpg

And for the first time ever I have an actual labelled tray of seeds, some banksias and grass trees.

The spare hole is for one that is being used in my kids science lessons so that will go in as well.

IMG_20190210_120340097.jpg

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Checked my apple seeds stratifying in the fridge a few days ago and found a number of them had started to sprout. I don't have great indoor conditions for this so they are just on the edge of my computer desk near a window... and we are a full month away from the end of winter and freezing temps.

IMG_20190212_111010125.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
20190212_223439.jpg

Three crabapples. Sprouted yesterday and put them in individual seedling trays. Growing in a basic MG seed starting mix.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Checked my apple seeds stratifying in the fridge a few days ago and found a number of them had started to sprout. I don't have great indoor conditions for this so they are just on the edge of my computer desk near a window... and we are a full month away from the end of winter and freezing temps.
Exactly the reason why I recommend people in cold climates to use the natural means of stratification, outdoors.. Then your seeds will pop out at the right conditions for them.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Exactly the reason why I recommend people in cold climates to use the natural means of stratification, outdoors.. Then your seeds will pop out at the right conditions for them.

Going to use this method next year in conjunction with cold frame. Simply not enough room in the fridge or house.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know the feeling, only what i hear for last while is: How long those boxes going to stay in the fridge?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Myself, when seeds in plastic bags in the refrigerator start sprouting before its time to plant them out, I just leave them in the refrigerator. In the refrigerator they will grow very slow, or just pause after sprouting. They will not grow much at all until it warms up. I've left sprouted seed in the refrigerator for upwards of 3 months, with only one or two lost to damping off. This avoids the issue of weak initial growth due to inadequate light indoors.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Couple of Prunus armeniaca seeds started to germinate, moved them to the greenhouse for now, never grew them before but looks like they will be quite big seedlings.SAM_7324.JPGSAM_7325.JPG

Also planted about 120 Prunus Mahaleb seeds,
A side note here, i did split them in 2 and half i used cold stratification and on the other half i used warm stratification for about 2-3 weeks and than i put them in to the fridge.
So when planting yesterday ive notice that all of the seeds that received warm period prior to cold were opened and root sticking out, with the ones that were only in the fridge - about only 50% had a root visible.
Planted all of them anyway as they were going to the same tray.

Good lesson, i've learn something today :)
I will see more results in future as most of my seeds were going same way as above.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well the zelkova are getting crowded fast! Although the leaves aren’t really spreading out and sort of drooping so I’m wondering if it’s a lack of water issue and possibly too much light? Any input @cmeg1 ? I still have another batch in the fridge so it’s safe to say I should have plenty if I get similar germination rates. Some will likely end up in the ground maybe once temps warm or in the fall.
8AFE8F49-7DAF-49BE-81F3-49C28B974554.jpeg

And the cork oaks are moving right along, wired a few for fun. One has three sprouts so I am wondering if that makes a triple trunk? Also planted out the first few sprouting arakawa JM but nothing to show yet. Seems I may end up not having enough space under the lights!

FA10DA07-0749-4ECE-92E4-1B1F19B17B23.jpeg
95FD349A-65A3-4CE4-84C7-D5FB20511BB5.jpeg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Nybonsai12 - when you run out of room, just leave the seed, even if it is starting to sprout, just leave it in the refrigerator. The seedlings will grow a little then hold until you are ready to set them outside, even if it is a couple months away.

I know you’re right Leo, you always are! But where is the fun in that! I’m too impatient to wait to set them outside which is why I grow em indoors over the winter in the first place. I know it makes no sense but I enjoy it. It’s gonna be tight but I should be able to squeeze em in. If not I’ll just have to mail you some!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where did you manage to get cork oak seeds! WOuld love to have a cork aok seedling!

Outside my seeds are waking up. Put some arakawa seeds (I know, unlikely to all be true to type), Notophagus antarctica, Ulmus Pumila and Zelkova Serrata in pots in fall. The first green now showing.
Anybody in Netherlands / Belgium/Germany interested in these species, give e a shout. I will probably have too many again!

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Guys, quick question to more experienced folks,
This is my first year using greenhouse, so im not sure if im paranoid or making things over complected.
I planted a lot of seeds that i had been stratifying in the fridge for last while, some of them are germinating already, but some dont and that makes me think.
And i read if the seeds are germinating in temperatures above 25 Celsius they can get second dormancy ? is that correct ?
In the sunny day i can get around 30-35 Celcius in the greenhouse, even with door and window opened.

Last edited:

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Got a ton of these crabapples/malus germinating.. already filled up one box of seedlings with about... 30 individual seeds. I got a ton more in here. Gonna give them away.

20190330_103650.jpg

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Time to start crackin on these here in the STL.

Trying a few new things this year, including the use of a more organic soil and using spagnum moss over the top. (Both of these ideas from watching @kingsville grower )

JBP
JRP
Sylvestris
And Short Leaf Pine.

9ACC0540-C161-479F-8EC5-4C95047EDAE7.jpegDA4CE485-4A80-4DD5-A96F-FAAC4F9EB48F.jpeg3055F81A-C722-434A-B008-41F542D5FFCF.jpeg

Top Bottom