2021 Dwarf Chrysanthemum Bonsai Thread

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
'Seizan' one of the cascading miniatures with fairly woody stems. From King's mums. Probably one of the ones that W. Valavanis originally imported from Japan. Bill had sold a collection of these to King's mums in order that they could be distributed to the mum collectors beyond just the bonsai collectors.

I got this from King's many years ago. It has kept blooming through +19 F (-7 C ). Surprising how freeze tolerant they are.

Flower looks bigger than it really is, the flower is about the same diameter as my thumbnail, less than an inch in diameter.

not Kurume - IMG_20211125_141017334.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
'Seizan' one of the cascading miniatures with fairly woody stems. From King's mums. Probably one of the ones that W. Valavanis originally imported from Japan. Bill had sold a collection of these to King's mums in order that they could be distributed to the mum collectors beyond just the bonsai collectors.

I got this from King's many years ago. It has kept blooming through +19 F (-7 C ). Surprising how freeze tolerant they are.

Flower looks bigger than it really is, the flower is about the same diameter as my thumbnail, less than an inch in diameter.

View attachment 409900
Very nice!!!

I don't have that cultivar :(

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
OK guys, I keep looking at this discussion. Can anyone recommend a general care guide for these? Will they grow in my hot summer zone 8 climate? I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm until I know that they are even possible here, LOL.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
OK guys, I keep looking at this discussion. Can anyone recommend a general care guide for these? Will they grow in my hot summer zone 8 climate? I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm until I know that they are even possible here, LOL.
Yes, they will grow in your zone. You need to make sure the substrate doesn't dry out especially in your location.

I was at the Kannapolis Silhouette show yesterday, @William N. Valavanis had 3 nice ones showing. The flowers were past their prime, but still very nice.

20211204_092708.jpg20211204_092733.jpg20211204_092738.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Beautiful! Were these developed in a single season, or are they older than that?
They were cuttings from last year. He told me they were 18 months old. He also had several pictures on the table showing them in steps but I didn't get a picture of that.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
They were cuttings from last year. He told me they were 18 months old. He also had several pictures on the table showing them in steps but I didn't get a picture of that.
That's pretty amazing. They are fast growers for sure.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am pretty astounded by those you saw at the show. I will have to pay more serious attention to mine this year. All that I got from you did well. Glad you made the show, I would have but I had a minor surgery that I am getting over nicely. Be a couple weeks before I can lift anything though and about that long before I can work in clay again. More on that later.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am pretty astounded by those you saw at the show. I will have to pay more serious attention to mine this year. All that I got from you did well. Glad you made the show, I would have but I had a minor surgery that I am getting over nicely. Be a couple weeks before I can lift anything though and about that long before I can work in clay again. More on that later.
I did a turn and burn......6hrs down and 8hrs back up......left at 3am and got home at 11:30pm. Going down was easy, the drive back up was a bit difficult. Next year I may just spend the night.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Michael P - There are directions for creating mum bonsai on William Valavanis's various websites. If you page through or search Bill's blog there should be a couple entries on Chrysanthemum. Bill was the one to introduce these Japanese cultivars to USA horticulture.

http://www.internationalbonsai.com/ - Bill's website

https://valavanisbonsaiblog.com/ -Bill's blog

https://www.kingsmums.com/index.php - King's Mum's maintains and sells a number of the cultivars Bill imported 40 years ago. Look at their category "Gnomes" the gnomes are the ones used for bonsai.

@Pitoon - the cultivar 'Seizan' is available from King's Mums, it is listed under cascading varieties. Many of the Cascade type mums also have woody stems like the "gnomes" making them useful for bonsai. The Cascades do tend to need to have longer stems before blooming. And of course, they make excellent cascades.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did a turn and burn......6hrs down and 8hrs back up......left at 3am and got home at 11:30pm. Going down was easy, the drive back up was a bit difficult. Next year I may just spend the night.
I am long past having the desire to make a trip like that and past having the ability. I'm not a kid anymore. About 12 hours is my max, and then only if it is basically from one bed to another.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am long past having the desire to make a trip like that and past having the ability. I'm not a kid anymore. About 12 hours is my max, and then only if it is basically from one bed to another.
I used to be able to drive all day and night and it didn't really bother me. Now it's quite difficult in the day, and once the sun goes down the difficulty is multiplied. Next time I will spend the night and try to make it a family trip at the same time. I only stayed as long as I did just to see the demo's. Looking at the trees and the vendors was done in less than 1hr.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used to be able to drive all day and night and it didn't really bother me. Now it's quite difficult in the day, and once the sun goes down the difficulty is multiplied. Next time I will spend the night and try to make it a family trip at the same time. I only stayed as long as I did just to see the demo's. Looking at the trees and the vendors was done in less than 1hr.
Well there is always next year, or so it is said. If I could get ahead a bit I would love to go as a vendor. But that may just be a pipe dream.

Last edited:

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well there is always next year, or so it is said. If I could get ahead a bit I would love to go as a vendor. Pipe that may just be a pipe dream.
When I was there I inquired about a table next year with the host. If you are up for it we could get tables side by side to keep company and for breaks.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I was there I inquired about a table next year with the host. If you are up for it we could get tables side by side to keep company and for breaks.
That would be a perfect scenario. We will discuss that in the near future via PM.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@Michael P - There are directions for creating mum bonsai on William Valavanis's various websites. If you page through or search Bill's blog there should be a couple entries on Chrysanthemum. Bill was the one to introduce these Japanese cultivars to USA horticulture.

http://www.internationalbonsai.com/ - Bill's website

https://valavanisbonsaiblog.com/ -Bill's blog

https://www.kingsmums.com/index.php - King's Mum's maintains and sells a number of the cultivars Bill imported 40 years ago. Look at their category "Gnomes" the gnomes are the ones used for bonsai.

@Pitoon - the cultivar 'Seizan' is available from King's Mums, it is listed under cascading varieties. Many of the Cascade type mums also have woody stems like the "gnomes" making them useful for bonsai. The Cascades do tend to need to have longer stems before blooming. And of course, they make excellent cascades.
Leo and Pitoon, thanks for the replies! I did find Valavanis' articles, they are great. Still mulling over if I have enough desire for a one-year-wonder.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is my confusion. I understand that the plants themselves can be long lived, but how long can they be kept as trained bonsai? What conditions are required to keep the bonsai form for multiple years?

Top Bottom