2021 National Bonsai Exhibition - Sept 11-12

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Considering normal low🤬esteem for profession in general likely smart enough to keep profession secret😙.

Fair enough.

Well, not an IP lawyer here (*cough*) but the concepts are pretty simple. Original 3-D artworks like bonsai trees can generally be copyrighted under US federal law, entitling the author to control the right to use or even copyright photos of the work. Photographs of copyrighted 3-D works are considered "derivative works" that are junior to the original copyright-holder's rights. The element of the original work is there, but flattened into 2-D and expressed in a different medium. So theoretically, bonsai artists are probably within their rights to refuse to allow photography, to be attributed, and to profit off use of any photographs.

Caveat (oh, always with the caveats): my interpretation above is not uniformly adopted across all federal jurisdictions, and any lawsuit would have to be filed wherever the hypothetical defendant is, so the outcome might be dependent on where that got filed.

Yet another caveat: no published court decision resolves whether bonsai can be considered sufficiently stable in form ("fixation") to be constitutionally eligible for copyright protection (See U.S. CONST. art. 1, § 8, cl. 8.). Gardens have been held not eligible, because the plants in the garden are constantly sprouting, growing, flowering, and dying. Arguments could be made either way when it comes to bonsai, which can be maintained in essentially the same shape and appearance for decades...or not.

So.... I guess this is an answer that is not really an answer. Go figure.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know if anyone posted these yet, this is part 1 of a 4-part video series about the National Exhibition. I've gotten through the first 3 and the time is split between the show trees, demos, and vendor area...probably mostly on the vendors. Part 4 is long and I haven't watched it yet but it appears he shows at least some of the award winning trees, for those who are interested in that.

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
It’s awesome, so glad it came together. I went to the show, hit the vendor area, spent time looking at the displays (I saw @JudyB and @Brian Van Fleet displays, at least I think it was Judy’s, I still have no idea who anyone is really)

then I went over to @William N. Valavanis ‘ nursery and bought an azalea with a dead top that needs love and reimagination. His wife was wonderful to meet and she gave me some great ideas for it. I’ll get it into kanuma in spring, I think it was already reported this year

then I went back and bought an Ikkou from a woman who said she was friends with him. She held it for me while I ran off to the ATM since no cards.

great show!

View attachment 397112
The lady you bought the Ikkou pot from is Kora Delager, I was sitting with her when you said you have to go to the ATM. Kora is a pioneer and teacher of kusamono in the US, and she sponsors the Accent Plant Award for every US National Bonsai Exhibition to promote kusamono, a very generous lady. She is also the one leading Bill Valavanis’ Japan bonsai tour to the various nurseries and potters’s studio in Tokoname. So she knows them. She showed me a photo of Ikkou (Watanabe) with his mother and son, and had spent time with them. She gave my wife a Bigei namban pot for kusamono, which is quite unusual to find. She said Bigei sometimes quickly makes a few rough pots to fill up spaces when firing in the kiln, so this is not something he made for regular sales.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The lady you bought the Ikkou pot from is Kora Delager, I was sitting with her when you said you have to go to the ATM. Kora is a pioneer and teacher of kusamono in the US, and she sponsors the Accent Plant Award for every US National Bonsai Exhibition to promote kusamono, a very generous lady. She is also the one leading Bill Valavanis’ Japan bonsai tour to the various nurseries and potters’s studio in Tokoname. So she knows them. She showed me a photo of Ikkou (Watanabe) with his mother and son, and had spent time with them. She gave my wife a Bigei namban pot for kusamono, which is quite unusual to find. She said Bigei sometimes quickly makes a few rough pots to fill up spaces when firing in the kiln, so this is not something he made for regular sales.

That is so cool! Yeah, she told me some stories, I'm so glad to have her name. I should really have had a notebook with me. What a nice woman. I can't wait to find the opportunity to match it with a tree! I have to admit I was a bit overwhelmed so I probably didn't do enough socializing. Well, there's always next time...

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thank you so much for sharing this. I'd never heard of kusamono and it's beautiful.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wait, the vendor space was off limits for photos, too? Good thing I didn't take any... 🤫
Yeah I had a friend there I gave 200 bucks to to buy me some pots and he couldn't take a picture to show me what pots they had for sale. Kind of sad too because the vendor had leftovers at the end of the show

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't understand why we can't have an East coast and a west coast national shows and even a third all national show somewhere like Chicago or memphis

Some one needs to spend the time and money to do all that. Shows don't organize or pay for themselves. It takes a ton of time and effort.

I'm assuming that Ryan will continue doing shows like the one he did a few years ago.

The American Bonsai Society has a big show every year that moves around the country. There are also lots of local and regional shows.

There are a limited number of weekends to put on shows and typically they try to avoid December through mid March. Besides the fact that bonsai professionals and vendors would probably like to spend some time at home too

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have shown Mini-me at the Atlanta club show, the Knoxville club show, the Winter Silohette in Kannapolis, and now the Nationals. You happen to live in the Southeast so you have had to opportunity to see it several times. I have now shown it at the shows I usually participate in, so it will be retired from the show circuit for the next 4 or 5 years. If there’s a show on the West Coast, and there’s an easy way to take it there to display it, I might consider that… but I have no plans.

On the other hand, this was the first time I showed “The Z Tree”. It will be shown at the upcoming Atlanta show and most likely at the upcoming Winter Silohette show.

My trees are shown on a 4 or 5 year rotation. I plan several years in advance to determine which trees are getting ready for the show circuit, and prep them. The trees that just “came off” the circuit are usually cut back and repotted into slightly larger containers and allowed to regain strength and vigor. It’s kinda like an athlete prepping for the Olympics. You want to “peak” at the right time.

Since you have the Nationals book, you can see that I had different trees “on circuit” in 2016, and in 2018, and now.

I’m already working on the next batch for 2023.

Oh… Boon teaches the walnut oil technique in his Intensives.
Thanks for your response. It was a bummer to miss your critique of the Knoxville show and tidbits of bonsai knowledge. The atlanta representative told me why you couldn't make it and I would have done the same in your shoes. There were a lot less forests this year than last.

I would love to see the Z tree but maybe I will see it next month now that our club show at the Arboretum has been cancelled due to the Delta variant. If not i will definitely see it in Kannapolis unless that too gets cancelled. I don't understand why they don't just only let people in that have had the vaccine or a negative test in 72 hours.

I can't wait for the book, I don't understand why there isn't a book for every other non national show.

That thread about the walnut oil is a hilarious read, I thought it was a joke until I tried your recipe.

Have a good night, sir.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't understand why we can't have an East coast and a west coast national shows and even a third all national show somewhere like Chicago or memphis
Actually, Jonas Duiprich and Eric Schrader are planning a “West Coast National” show in Oakland next year.

Having “West Coast” and “East Coast” National shows is actually having “Regional” shows, in my opinion. But, I’m all for having more shows. I know how difficult it is for the California guys to send trees across the country for a show, and back again, especially considering California’s restrictions on bringing in plants into the State.

Jiminsauga

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Don't know if anyone posted these yet, this is part 1 of a 4-part video series about the National Exhibition. I've gotten through the first 3 and the time is split between the show trees, demos, and vendor area...probably mostly on the vendors. Part 4 is long and I haven't watched it yet but it appears he shows at least some of the award winning trees, for those who are interested in that.

Keep it on the down low, but in part 4 he films a lot of the trees in detail... nothing to see here folks 🙈🙉🙊

SilenceDogwood

Seedling
Reaction score
Actually, Jonas Duiprich and Eric Schrader are planning a “West Coast National” show in Oakland next year.

Having “West Coast” and “East Coast” National shows is actually having “Regional” shows, in my opinion. But, I’m all for having more shows. I know how difficult it is for the California guys to send trees across the country for a show, and back again, especially considering California’s restrictions on bringing in plants into the State.
Nowhere on the Pacific Bonsai Expo site does it claim to be a "west coast national", nor have any of the organizers stated this...

Having the official US National Exhibition in Rochester makes sense logistically for Bill and the organizers, but continuing to have it there likely hurts the overall community by creating a bias for who will likely show up. Very few west coast vendors, exhibitors, or attendees can easily participate.

SilenceDogwood

Seedling
Reaction score
Perhaps a better solution would be to have a US National that changes locations to include a broader US audience, or to have it at a more centralized location... Denver, Kansas City, or St. Louis might be a happy middle ground.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Perhaps a better solution would be to have a US National that changes locations to include a broader US audience, or to have it at a more centralized location... Denver, Kansas City, or St. Louis might be a happy middle ground.

Chicago has a great show, and a great venue.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Someone needs to step up and put it together - it's a lot of work. Bill has a big crew of people in Rochester which is why the show is here every other year. If someone has such a team in Chicago or Nashville or Denver or wherever, nothing is stopping them from putting on another national-type show.

I suggest people who think this is easy (not saying you are one of them) should listen to some of the comments Ryan has made about the Artisan's Cup. It's a big undertaking.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Someone needs to step up and put it together - it's a lot of work. Bill has a big crew of people in Rochester which is why the show is here every other year. If someone has such a team in Chicago or Nashville or Denver or wherever, nothing is stopping them from putting on another national-type show.

I suggest people who think this is easy (not saying you are one of them) should listen to some of the comments Ryan has made about the Artisan's Cup. It's a big undertaking.

Because of the costs and difficulty in transportation associate with the size of the US, I think there is certainly room for 3 professional level, juried shows, whether you want to call them national or regional. As you note, the challenge will be finding willing and able organizers. We have one in the east. Sounds like there's a possibility for one in the west. Anyone in Chicago want to step up?

Top Bottom