5yr Native Tree Challenge: Fraxinus ornus (Maros)

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
This is my entry to the 5-year native challenge. Taking into consideration this year is special in many aspects I decided to collect at least one tree for commemoration. Since my area was in a rather strict lockdown in March and April I did not want to risk encounters with officials. My moment came in May. I had a place where I was collecting Ash (Fraxinus ornus) some 10 years ago. I went to visit the site and after some scouting found one tree which seemed to be worth collecting. It took me about an hour to get it out from the soil. As you can see from the pictures tree had quite a lot of fine roots. Anyway, it would not be a big deal if it were not the case. For the sake of producing some educational content, I would for starters add few facts. Ash is from the same family as olives and lilac, Oleaceae. So knowing that if you can collect olive almost without any roots and it will catch up one could expect ash trees to behave in a similar fashion. Not granted but according to my experience with Fraxinus ornus, it behaves exactly like expected. All ashes I have were collected in later periods of spring, late April, or in the case of this tree beginning of May.
131827.jpg

After bringing it home, the tree was submerged into a big bucket of water for the night. On the next day, some roots were shortened and the tree was planted into a large plastic pot. I was hoping to plant it into the large ceramic pot but none was spare in my garden. I used a mixture of pumice and rough peat 80/20. If I remember correctly I add few spoons of crushed horn fertilizer (I'm not sure about the correct translation of the stuff).
20210508_120719.jpg
20210508_120726.jpg

The tree is multi-trunk, has 3 major trunks, and a possible few smaller. I'm not yet certain how many trunks will stay but currently, I'm inclined to think about three. The thick trunk is about 5 cm wide at the top cut, I was roughly calculating rings and it is about 40 years old.
After placing it on the shelf I was not moving the tree at all for about two months. After the first week, I was looking for emerging buds on the trunk. After one month buds appeared. After another 2 weeks, buds were all over all trunks.
DSC_5364.jpg

DSC_5358.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This tree offers great interest!

I’m excited to see where your hands, and the allotted time, “take” this one.
🤓

Stella

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Will be so interesting to see how this one turns out.

So knowing that if you can collect olive almost without any roots and it will catch up
Regarding your statement about Olives. if you don't mind me asking - how much root work can you when repotting.
Seeing you say it will survive if collected with no roots, can I assume it will survive a big root prune as well?

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Will be so interesting to see how this one turns out.

Regarding your statement about Olives. if you don't mind me asking - how much root work can you when repotting.
Seeing you say it will survive if collected with no roots, can I assume it will survive a big root prune as well?
I'm not growing olives myself. It would require a greenhouse from November till March and I'm not able to provide this type of protection. My remark is based on observation of Spanish guys collecting olives from the wild and from what I heard from Walter personally.
Quickly manged to fing this post from Gustavo Quiñonero Bellido <iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/po...sts/2843684982405647&show_text=true&width=500" width="500" height="637" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
September 2021:
tree responded well and it generated a lot of fresh growth
20210912_132016e.jpg

The secondary trunk was pulled towards the main trunk mechanically.

20210912_134151.jpg

20210912_134349.jpg

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
May 2022:
The tree survived winter well and was again growing vigorously. Editing of branching was done and some initial carving was performed on stumps.
20220501_175223.jpg

20220501_175235.jpg

Detail of the future nebari.

20220501_175647.jpg

The secondary trunk was pulled for another few centimeters.

20220501_175243.jpg

Initial carving of stumps and wiring of main branches was done.

20220501_193252.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice work on this one Maros, it has lots of wild interest. Whats your basic mix again for your deciduous trees? I know youve said it somewhere, but I cant remember.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice work on this one Maros, it has lots of wild interest. Whats your basic mix again for your deciduous trees? I know youve said it somewhere, but I cant remember.
Thanks Bobby. My mix is what I have available. I have easy and cheap access to zeolite. So zeolite+rough peat(10-30%) is my go to mix , so I mostly use it in fractions 2,5-5 mm for smaller trees, 4-8 mm for larger trees. I like it because it keeps a lot of moisture. Unfortunately, it is heavy. So for example on this particular tree, there is pumice +rough peat, which makes it much lighter to zeolite mix. I use also lava(I find little benefit in it tbh), and Terramol.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
I made a video about this tree recently in case you are interested it sums up the recent stage of the development and a few remarks regarding ashes for bonsai, pests, styling, etc. I will add a few pictures here later. Thanks

Top Bottom