5yr native tree challenge - Leatherbacks Fagus sylvatica

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, as my first treedeemer thread I think this one would befit the title..

A little project I have started this spring, when I noticed one of my neighbours pulling out a beech hedgerow. After a short "Watcha Doin" and "Ya gonna toss those" (Or rather, Was machen sie?, and Was passiert mit die alte Pflanzen?) I returned with a saw and intent. Well.. Unfortunately MOST of them were ugly, uninteresting sticks. But this one has spunk, and came home!
March 19th
1621836472388.png
1621836496285.png
1621836585763.png

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agreed. I was mainly interested in whether you've seen signs of life yet. Also the double nursery can setup is curious.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The idea of the extra pot was to get a few more roots and build a banyan beech. But upon checking the roots, the big one did not live. So.. Off it went. Ready for 2022. Might add some mesh to ensure the nebari stays covered. In late spring I will look into shortening this more.
1638114952426.png

1638114976220.png

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Had not seen this but I pulled up some myself this winter. Wanted to throw them away but my partner insisted we put them in pots. More hopeful after seeing your resul.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's the winter silhouette this year ?
It is still sitting pretty with all the old leaves on it. And I have not been able to motivate me to do a lot of bonsai work outside in the continuous rain these last weeks. Over christmas break I am planning massive work on my trees, after which it is portret time!

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
NOT my aim :)

Drumroll....
when they say bonsai requires patience’s, they mean patience for the world’s slowest drum roll…

this thing is going to be awesome, and we’re not even halfway through! I really like how your work so far demonstrates that you’ve gotta let the tree come to you, so to speak.

Top Bottom