8th U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition, Rochester, NY, USA, September 9-10, 2023

20230909_160214.jpg
I didn't get it. My wife said she found the "sheriff", then had to tell me the story behind Robin Hood. Poor Corin sweated 1/2 a gallon during his hinoki demo. He was drenched but put his apron back on for the pic.
Needed a fan.
20230909_143008.jpg

20230909_155856.jpg
I'm sure somebody got a finished pic they can post.

Next time let's have an onsite BNut gathering time aye?
living vicariously through this thread
Impossible :)
The caliber of some of those trees, like, I wouldn't risk transport. All it takes is one jackas on the road to ruin the whole shebang. It was worth the drive. Next time we'll seeya there maybe.

Elevator t
They are everywhere in the hotel!! Longest elevator ride I had in my life as one of theses little angel pushed all the floors buttons!...
elevator trick, may or may not work- hold down the button of the floor you want to go to, and then press close doors. In theory this is how emergency overrides all stops to other floors. You didn’t hear this from me…… 😂

My main takeaway from this show was, I cant wait for the next Pacific Bonsai Expo. This show needs to make some changes. It was great meeting people here, but I see no reason to return.

I was wondering this… For some reason, I feel like I heard people go and buy out vendors to resell later on. Have you seen that happen?
I mean, when potters don’t price their pots very high this is what happens. A lot of potter’s medium sized pots at this show I felt could have been priced a little higher. I see pots like that go for double online, especially anything Sara Rayner or Nao Tokutake. We bought an April Grigsby pot that many people were fighting over and she could have easily sold that one to us for $100 more and we would have still paid for it. Even worse, we attended a garden show once and a local bonsai seller found out a fellow vendor bought his trees and were flipping them at the same show. Super tacky.

My main takeaway from this show was, I cant wait for the next Pacific Bonsai Expo. This show needs to make some changes. It was great meeting people here, but I see no reason to return.
Not even to get a trash plate with Nao? I think ferrari pizza didnt refund me yet. 💸💸

I was smart enough to contact Sara Rayner over a month go and picked out a pot that she put my name on and brought to the shows. From previous years I know her pots tend to disappear QUICKLY.
I mean, I think she sold half her inventory on Friday.. last I saw she was spreading them out and only had them stacked two pots high.

I got you! Will have to post in the shohin school thread who is attending from Bnut. 😆
living vicariously through this thread, jealous of all y'all!

@Sansokuu I would LOVE to get one of those pins for the Shohin School seminar if you have extras. I've always wondered the correct way to introduce myself from an online persona 🤠

I mean, when potters don’t price their pots very high this is what happens. A lot of potter’s medium sized pots at this show I felt could have been priced a little higher. I see pots like that go for double online, especially anything Sara Rayner or Nao Tokutake. We bought an April Grigsby pot that many people were fighting over and she could have easily sold that one to us for $100 more and we would have still paid for it. Even worse, we attended a garden show once and a local bonsai seller found out a fellow vendor bought his trees and were flipping them at the same show. Super tacky.
I thought everyone’s prices were great. Compared to what you see online, most venders at the show were very accessible for the average bonsai enthusiast. Definitely something resellers could take advantage of if they’re allowed to.

You aren’t the only person with this sentiment. I’ve heard a few people saying they expected “more.” Whatever that might mean…

I had a lot of fun for my first big show so I don’t have much to compare it to.

What changes would you like to see?

What changes would you like to see?

Better tree selection, better venue, better organized, better website, ditch the no photography policy.

The one thing I did like was they had demonstrations, although the mic setup was so bad I couldn't hear a thing.

This is great perspective Rudd. Without proper context myself I can’t make too many criticisms but there were def a few things I didn’t like. Generally I was just happy to see so many great trees in one place at one time. That’s not something readily available to me.

I haven't been to a big expo of any kind, but one thing I've heard many professionals discuss (particularly Walter and Ryan) is that new styles of exhibition result in new styles of trees and displays. I think the diversity of options in that regard is important.

This is great perspective Rudd. Without proper context myself I can’t make too many criticisms but there were def a few things I didn’t like. Generally I was just happy to see so many great trees in one place at one time. That’s not something readily available to me.
This is my main take away. That said, having produced convention center events I’m sure they could reinvent/refresh the gig.

You aren’t the only person with this sentiment. I’ve heard a few people saying they expected “more.” Whatever that might mean…

I had a lot of fun for my first big show so I don’t have much to compare it to.

More air conditioning maybe? Surprisingly warm in there (especially Saturday) considering the conditions outside.

Back
Top Bottom