A couple of wild pines.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
DUDE that’s a sweet Scots, I’ve looked and looked and looked and I can’t find them like that in my area. The search continues, nice to see such a nice collected Pine from MI.
Yamadori isn't just found on a mountain side.
I've found 2 better on right of ways but they were in the wrong season so I mowed them.
It was horrible.
I'm always looking for them too.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yamadori isn't just found on a mountain side.
I've found 2 better on right of ways but they were in the wrong season so I mowed them.
It was horrible.
I'm always looking for them too.
agreed, maybe if we had mountains in Michigan but so far I've never collected from a "mountain" maybe a hill... does that count?

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When is the best time to collect pines, I have found 3 but I don’t want to take them at the wrong time

Reaction score
So is now a good time

I'm still collecting from the mountains right now, but I wouldn't collect from places near my house. If the trees are just waking up, go for it. If they are already quite awake, I'd personally just mark the location on my map for next year.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When is the best time to collect pines, I have found 3 but I don’t want to take them at the wrong time
I've had success in spring and fall.
In spring the time best time is as the buds just start to swell or elongate.
Pines aren't easy to collect with any guarantee of survival. Like I said I get about a 50 % kill rate. I'm dealing with sand and pine roots tend to run in search of water in sand.
Take a shot. Who knows you may get something to live.
Remember too though,a collected pine should sit for 2 years before you do anything to it besides water and fertilizer.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the Scotts Mike!!
I like it too. It looks like a couple of buds are extending so that's a good sign. But it can still crap out.
The Jack pines are extending like gangbusters.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First is a Scots pine.View attachment 191745
Next up is a Jack pine.View attachment 191746
Both collected today.
The Jack is about as big around as a pop can.
The Scots is larger.
I've been eyeing them up for almost a year now
Well see how it goes. I've only got around a 50% survivability rate collecting in spring.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oooo ... !

Nice, nice, nice, Mike - especially the Scots pione.

How asbout this for the Jack:

Untitled.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oooo ... !

Nice, nice, nice, Mike - especially the Scots pione.

How asbout this for the Jack:

View attachment 192982
That's something like I had in mind. It's going to be a thought. I'd really like to crank that branch around a bit but I'm sure it's too hard and brittle.
The Scots was on the edge of a right of way. I know exactly how it got that shape. In the past some line clearance guy tossed a branch on it and it grew around it. I'm thinking of going around and tossing various objects on young trees and see how they look in 5 years.

Top Bottom