A few pine seeds, 6 years later.

Hello!Did you happen to meet the said professional and get more information about his techniques, if I may ask?
Thank you.
Oh yes. I Know him personally, he lives in the same town as myself! (he's famous around here because he has the only one Araucaria angustifolia bonsai maybe in the world!) Had forgotten about this post. Planning to go there maybe tomorrow and hope that he still has some so I can take some pictures and get some more info on the JPB cuttings to share with you guys here.

Thank you for the reminder!

There are several types of Araucaria,

What I have seen in latin america is people trying to bonsai with other than angustifolia sp.

a pic with the owner to get you and idea of the size:

and one in the nature. As a rule, all Araucaria angustifolia trees are straight as a pole (they are "always" formal upright.)

Hello!Did you happen to meet the said professional and get more information about his techniques, if I may ask?
Thank you.
Ok so I got around his bonsai shop and asked him how he's done it.

Basically he takes one year old shoots, clean for fungus for a few days before cutting it. This kind of shoot:
20180712_095035.jpg

Then he pots them in sand (which he has previously treated for fungal infection aswell.. he says he wets the sand and microwaves it then pour it in cold water.). After that he covers the whole thing in clear plastic bag and places it in semi shade. In about 3 months this is what you get:
IMG-20180712-WA0004.jpg

Here are some pics of some of his cuttings(they are about 2 years old)
20180712_095152.jpg 20180712_103858.jpg 20180712_104004.jpg

USDA Zone
8b
Ok so I got around his bonsai shop and asked him how he's done it.

Basically he takes one year old shoots, clean for fungus for a few days before cutting it. This kind of shoot:
View attachment 200747

Then he pots them in sand (which he has previously treated for fungal infection aswell.. he says he wets the sand and microwaves it then pour it in cold water.). After that he covers the whole thing in clear plastic bag and places it in semi shade. In about 3 months this is what you get:
View attachment 200772

Here are some pics of some of his cuttings(they are about 2 years old)
View attachment 200773 View attachment 200774 View attachment 200775
Thanks for sharing. This reenforce what Anthony said he did but with more pictures. I will have give this a try next year.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
USDA Zone
Hmm, To avoid the chemical bit, we use sterile commercial
peat moss / perlite,
But we just stick any and everything, with a touch of rooting
powder.
Use full sun --------- hmm ?

Given as gifts, so matters not how many take.

Also we only propagate, the ones that are fastest at trunk
thickening. Been giving all the slow seedlings so the others
can practice at growing / health.
Then a few years later, the real stuff.
Even at one out of five, we are on overload.

Good To see others doing.
Good Day
Anthony