A few pine seeds, 6 years later.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This slightly odd semi-cascade exposed root...it has amazing bark but the top needs a lot of work to form a good small crown.

15828467125_5d626d08d5_b.jpg

Last seen above in post #90. This tree grew well this season. We had a hotter than normal end of the summer so most of the needles on my JBP are longer than usual.

October 2015, before:
22294254679_521108e707_b.jpg

October 2015, after cleanup and wiring:

21859880723_d06b915298_b.jpg

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
A strange little one with reverse taper due to poor planning in the way the bends were made years ago, I can't seem to part with it because it's weird:

15209001533_5b8e2ec436_b.jpg

Also last seen in post #90. I blogged about this tree last year.

October 2015, before work:
22467700932_3c9d6c0ddb_b.jpg

October 2015, after thinning, cutback and wiring. The top will be created from the small buds just visible next to the jin.

22492078711_07f1ef2057_b.jpg

Andrew Robson

Shohin
Reaction score
Wow Eric, these are all extremely inspiring!!!

You have definitely proven to us that we should all be growing trees from seed, and that with some hard work and time, the results will definitely be worth it!

PS, it was nice meeting you at the cup!

Andrew

Last edited:

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
the trees are beautiful and it's amazing how much you accomplished in the time it's taken.

it definitely was the inspiration for me to get some seedlings this year,and planning on starting some seeds next season.

thanks for sharing

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
They look extremely healhty. What does cleaning up actually consists of (sorry for such a basic question)?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for sharing the updates! So inspiring. You are really a huge asset to this forum by sharing your work, experiences and knowledge. Too much riff raff lately so posts like yours are a breath of fresh air.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Last seen above in post #90. This tree grew well this season. We had a hotter than normal end of the summer so most of the needles on my JBP are longer than usual.
When did you decandle this year? I decandled my JBP at Boon's the end of May, which is earlier than I usually do because the needles were getting too short. I hope I didn't do it too early.

When Eric says "cleaned up" he means he pulled old needles, and thinned excess buds (summer shoots) that were produced by decandling. Thin to two new shoots. Also, do Soji to the top layer of soil.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
When did you decandle this year? I decandled my JBP at Boon's the end of May, which is earlier than I usually do because the needles were getting too short. I hope I didn't do it too early.

I decandled the trees that are here in SF the first and second week of June, finishing the last phase in the third week on some that needed balancing. I decandled the ones that are at Boon's place in mid-June all at the same time. They are all still less refined than the ones I have at my house...although some of them are the best of the bunch.

The fall weather at my house has been quite warm which made the needles about 1/2 inch longer than optimal for these small pines. The large pines are fine though. And since none of these are show ready yet the long needles just keep them a bit stronger with no real down side.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I should have more to post in the next month as I work through the rest of the pines.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing, the trees are looking incredibly well aged for their age.
The little trick you showed of carving the jinns down thinner, any chance of a closeup of one after a year or two?

Top Bottom