A few spring chickens

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A few of my trees are excited about the new season, even when there is new snow outside. I repotted several today, and will have the rest of the early trees to do this weekend. The late trees will be a few weeks out.
Enjoy.
Here is a clump maple that I got from my buddy Mach. Real potential, will cut the long branches back after it
settles back in from the repot. Also need to move one of the trunks a bit more.
P1010505.jpgP1010506.jpgP1010507.jpgP1010491.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very nice Judy! I must admit that Goji is my favorite...love the movement in that trunk!

Curius was the JM's previous pot a different shape? Since your having a harder time with the repot.

The cherry blossoms will look stunning with that new pot! I think its a good pairing.

Last but not least...the clump...What a fun tree...Love clumps. One style I may have to eventually add to my collection one day. Love the accent you have paired with it as well.

Thanks for sharing~!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The feminine curves on an otherwise masculine pot fit the tree well IMO.

The rim shares the trunk color, and it will look better with leaves!

A little more ram and the winter image will be real nice too.

Boon would be proud of the planting depth!;)

Real nice.

The Cherry.....reminds me of another!:(

Yeah the Goji is wicked!

Sorce

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool trees Judy.I like the maple in the rectangle a lot better than the oval.I think it compliments the great trunk base.
I am starting to admire maples more and more.And especially am noticing results from wiring them.A very rewarding art form it seems.Yours looks to be definately in the right direction for a pleasing form.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looking good Judy, setting up to be a great year!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great looking trees Judy and nice work! I agree, I think I do like your big maple better in the rectangular pot. Perhaps just a tad to off center for my taste but looks great! Goji with pot combo is very nice! Have fun with the clump... I will miss this one for sure.

Is this the first time you are using akadama exclusively?

@cmeg1 wiring is really where you bring the tree to life in my opinion.

Yes wiring IS bonsai ;)

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the goji berry trunk, looking forward to seeing that one develop.

Have you gotten berries? I planted one in the yard a couple of years ago, it is growing well but flowered so late last year that it never set fruit.

Chris

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Perhaps just a tad to off center for my taste but looks great! Have fun with the clump... I will miss this one for sure.

Is this the first time you are using akadama exclusively?

I may agree with you about it being too far to the right. And I'm so mad that I cut the crossing root off, now I can see the space between the other root and the trunk! :mad:
I'm not sure what solution there is for that stupid mistake... I suppose I could put a whip in there and fuse it to form a new root? The clump is fun, and is extremely healthy.
Yes this is the first time for not mixing. Although to be fair, the drainage layer is a mix. I know the shohin trees will be much happier in straight A. The J. Maple probably too. Will not use straight for everything, but for maples I find that they are better with a straight top dressing of A, so decided to try a straight non mix this year. I don't find that I have problems with breaking down of Akadama over the amount of time between repotting.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@coh I have had flowers and berries! Flowers are so dainty and pretty. The fruit is hard to keep the birds from.

Littlejoe919

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b?
All wonderful tree's, thank you for sharing them with us.

Top Bottom