A. palmatum in the desert

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
According to the Sunset A. pal;matum should grow here and occasionally I see them at smaller nurseries sooooo........I bought a seedling off of ebay ( I know ) and it was growing like crazy. I have it under a sun shade ( 69 % ) and as it gets warmer the leaves have started burning. It never gets any direct sun ( it's some green variety anyway ). I have been using pond water ton it rather than tap water. Any of you maple geniuses have any suggestions ?

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dwight, was it bare rooted and how long has it been potted? It usually is better to let them bud and leaf in full sun and then move them to shade if it is needed. Sun makes food, and a stronger plant. If you can create a micro-climate in the area where the humidity is higher it would help. The damaged leaves are probably dessication from an immature root system. Just live with them and try to encourage new growth. Don't cut them off you will need all the leaf surface that's left to make food.
Wood

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dwight,

An anti-transpirant product like cloudcover should also help as it will reduce the amount of water transpiring through the leaves. This way the roots are better able to keep up it water loss.

Another product that may help is dynagrow protekt. Its a potash silicate. Its really the silicon you are paying for here. The product states that silicone helps build stronger cell walls that are better able to resist sun and heat damage, incest & fungi.

Another thing to consider is the wind. On my shade structure for maples, I've not only covered the top but also the south and west sides. This gives it more shade in the evening and also some wind protection.

Hope this helps.

Ray

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I keep mine in deep shade and run a misting system twice a day and they do well here in Fort Worth. Not quite El Paso, but still very hot. It is also hot enough now in TX to burn new tender leaves if left in direct sunlight. I'd move them to the shade now through the summer and keep well watered.

Top Bottom