A quickie project.......

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Our bonsai club has our display the first weekend in June. We have one room for vendors and one room for demo's and the large hall for the display trees.We put on two demo's each day, with staked green mound junipers.One of our memebers that has been into bonsai for over 30 years loves to do cascades and he's good at it, me on the other hand I hate working on them, I would much prefer working on staked plants which we usually have, I seem to have better success with informal uprights because I like them better.I went by my favorite nursury yesterday to buy a small staked green mound and they were out of them, just the large expensive ones left.Other errands took me to Home Depot, so I went out in the garden just to see what they had. I found some small green mounds (not staked). I bought one to show what you can do with you money if you don't buy a stick.
Please keep in mind I don't like doing cascades, this is probably the second one I've even done and it shows, but it is an example.
If anyone is interested I will give this tree away in a contest if the winner will pay the shipping (probably around 15 bucks, if's it more than 20 bucks, I'll make up the difference) All you have to do is guess how long it took me to butcher this little plant.

Ciao,
Harry

Attachments

• DSC00204.jpg
    DSC00204.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC00206.jpg
    DSC00206.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC00211.jpg
    DSC00211.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC00215.jpg
    DSC00215.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC00218.jpg
    DSC00218.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Max 30 minutes (Ya had to stop for a cold one)...
I hate Junies

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
45 Minutes if it was a hot day. Put some lateral motion into it too Harry.

Too lazy, nap time. Other jobs to do when I get up.......:p

Ciao,
Harry

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Sure I am.
(Shimpaku is another story)
I give them (Junies) to my hubby to get stuck by..

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
1 hour for main trunk wiring and trimming. If tertiary branches are partially wired 2 hours total.

Tom

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't care how long it took Harry. I'm just glad you did it, took photos and posted it. Did you take more photos of your process? I think you may have a small photo essay with instructions in there. You know - for the sticks in the pots nOObs.

And all this time I thought you were just standing there, scotch glass in hand watching Marco all glazed over. You booger - you were learning.

Thanks.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I don't care how long it took Harry. I'm just glad you did it, took photos and posted it. Did you take more photos of your process? I think you may have a small photo essay with instructions in there. You know - for the sticks in the pots nOObs.

And all this time I thought you were just standing there, scotch glass in hand watching Marco all glazed over. You booger - you were learning.

Thanks.
LOL Oh I am sure he knows more than he lets on...Hmmm do the names Howard and Sylvia ring a bell? And how often does he meet up with John Kirby.....

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
NO it took at least 10 miniutes to get rid of bad and another ten to get refined...

20 mintues and that includes having a cold one when you were doing it.....

Last edited:

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4 hours 22 minutes. (22 minutes to butcher the poor thing, and 4 hours to make the virtual of that red pot:D ) Harry, give it to a noob. I can just spend $12 bucks and go make 2 of my own.

-Dave

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
4 hours 22 minutes. (22 minutes to butcher the poor thing, and 4 hours to make the virtual of that red pot:D ) Harry, give it to a noob. I can just spend $12 bucks and go make 2 of my own.

-Dave

What you don't appreciate my styling skills, now my feelings are hurt. What do you want for 6 bucks. Now you see why I hire Marco. My vert skills are beyond meassure don't ya think. I would still rather have the poor thing than a stick.............:D

Ciao,
Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
The caliper is about 3/4' of an inch and it took me about 2 hours amd 11 minutes.

Harry

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
While we are learning...

The caliper is about 3/4' of an inch and it took me about 2 hours amd 11 minutes.

Harry

:confused: Hey all, do cascades have to play by the same rules as uprights? If so don't you need to shorten this one down to about 4.5"? :confused:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
:confused: Hey all, do cascades have to play by the same rules as uprights? If so don't you need to shorten this one down to about 4.5"? :confused:

I don't have a clue, I don't like cascades.

Ciao,
Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
1 hour for main trunk wiring and trimming. If tertiary branches are partially wired 2 hours total.

Tom

Tom, you got the closest. If you want it for shipping, I will send it to you, otherwise I will put it on tha raffle table at the next meeting. You won't hurt my feelings if you don't want it.....:p

Harry

Top Bottom