Acer Ginnala styled

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks Maros. Don't let some of these photos fool you. I do indeed let the tree grow in between stages. Take a look at this one in late June before it was cut back. I usually get a couple of flushes per growing season with the exception of this year in which the tree did not elongate as much as I had expected when it was cut back.

I got that Sergio. I understand you are growing it for few weeks and than cut back. Sure good to prevent another scars and unwanted thickening on parts where you don't want that. I would try to grow one long shoot per branch for whole season, like long as long as it can grow in a season. But that's just me. You are maple expert so you know which methods works for you. Colors are just spectacular. Enjoy autumn colors mate.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I got that Sergio. I understand you are growing it for few weeks and than cut back. Sure good to prevent another scars and unwanted thickening on parts where you don't want that. I would try to grow one long shoot per branch for whole season, like long as long as it can grow in a season. But that's just me. You are maple expert so you know which methods works for you. Colors are just spectacular. Enjoy autumn colors mate.

I agree Maros. I use the single sacrifice branch in most cases. In this particular instance, I needed a global thickening, so I let the tree grow to bulk it up while building ramification. I will probably continue for another season or two and then pursue other more targeted approaches like single sacrifice branches if and wherever needed.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The tree as it looked yesterday after removing wires that were applied in mid summer and making some other directional adjustments on some twigs. As always I keep trying to move it forward as the tree allows. At this point I plan on exhibiting it at the 2017 Winter Silhouette Expo in December.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
This year I'm giving this maple a brake from me. Just removed all the wire and I will let it go free. It will help strengthen its health and vitality and will also further thicken the base of the primary branches.

It is good strategy for the tree I think. Question is when you do cutback. Fall just before dormancy? Secondly I would like to hear what's your strategy for avoiding shading inner parts of the crown and potential dieback of the weaker branches.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It is good strategy for the tree I think. Question is when you do cutback. Fall just before dormancy? Secondly I would like to hear what's your strategy for avoiding shading inner parts of the crown and potential dieback of the weaker branches.

Maros, I am thinking I will cut back in fall right after leaf fall. Will come back again in the spring for further refinement and wire where needed. To keep interior areas well lit, I will do partial defoliation.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Maros, I am thinking I will cut back in fall right after leaf fall. Will come back again in the spring for further refinement and wire where needed. To keep interior areas well lit, I will do partial defoliation.
Sounds like good plan. Fingers crossed.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm surprised that you need to give this tree a break, they are such strong growers. Do you have any concerns about getting coarse growth without controlling it?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm surprised that you need to give this tree a break, they are such strong growers. Do you have any concerns about getting coarse growth without controlling it?

Last year after I defoliated it, I could tell it came back a slightly bit weaker. In addition, one thing I think I need to improve upon on this tree are the trunk to branch transitions and more variety on branch thicknesses. They all look a little too even all around the trunk. I can help solve or improve a lot of these challenges by going through this step.

No real concern about the coarseness since I may be remaking some areas. I will admit that my process in building trees is not always linear. So there is some madness behind my methods. :p

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
I will admit that my process in building trees is not always linear. So there is some madness behind my methods. :p
Reminds me, I'm, using the same method mostly. Fact is with such structure you always have to deal with risks of dieback, so you need to be prepared to rework some areas when brach is lost. The tricky thing is you have to be careful not to let the weak areas being shaded by foliage for too long. That's why you sometimes do two steps forward and one back (if you are lucky enough). :)

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last year after I defoliated it, I could tell it came back a slightly bit weaker. In addition, one thing I think I need to improve upon on this tree are the trunk to branch transitions and more variety on branch thicknesses. They all look a little too even all around the trunk. I can help solve or improve a lot of these challenges by going through this step.

No real concern about the coarseness since I may be remaking some areas. I will admit that my process in building trees is not always linear. So there is some madness behind my methods. :p

I really like your decision to increase the branch thickness in some areas. I think this will elevate the quality of this really nice tree.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

Glad I'm not the only one...:p. Love the tree, too.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Terrific progress, Sergio! It's coming along great.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
God damn. Night pictures look great.. I feel like you must have had a hell of a flash to do such a great job at illuminating all the fine branching.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
God damn. Night pictures look great.. I feel like you must have had a hell of a flash to do such a great job at illuminating all the fine branching.

No flash @ConorDash. Flash lighting is very harsh and flattens out the image. I use what they call softboxes made for photo studio purposes. I use two, one on each side of the tree but at different intensities and/or distance to have one side of the tree more brightly lit than the other. Below is what it looks like when I am shooting my trees at night. Of course you can also use a black background to get the same effect.

@ConorDash no flash! its actually just the angelic glow that sergio gives off when he is among maples :p

HA! :p Correct! No flash, but unfotunately and sadly no "angelic glow" here either. :rolleyes:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow looking great Serg... such an increase in ramification in those 3 years between 2015-2018. The close ups really highlight the features of this tree that show off it's age.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
looks like you'll have your original goal accomplished by ... next fall? This progression is awesome, glad I have some of these maples headed my way. Been seeing more and more great examples of ginnala

Top Bottom