Acer Pal - Newest Addition

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Gdy2000!

I am not too surprised about the roots. So many from Marc come this way. If it is not fixable through grafts, I would consider air layering it. You should have no problems doing so next year.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently purchased this from Marc Torppa at the Growing Grounds. It's a pretty big piece of material (at least for me) with a 4.5inch base that's currently about 17-18 inches high. I'm resisting the urge to get in there and thin it out a bit, but will probably wait till spring before working on it. So, Nutters, what do you think?

Also, a little research into Marc at GG offered some mixed reviews, but my experience was very positive. I would definitely buy from him again, FWIW.

View attachment 116777 View attachment 116778 View attachment 116779
View attachment 116783

How did you find the selection of japanese and trident maples? I was thinking of visiting this fall.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A couple of quick updates to this tree...

Fall colors:

20161119_192829490_iOS.jpg

Naked

20161127_180312354_iOS.jpg

A quick video:

My plan is to re-pot into a training box in the spring and try to begin to work on the roots. Any thoughts or recommendations from the nutters would be appreciated!

Reaction score
In the picture there seems to be a red accent in the trunk, is this correct? I would put it in a big growing box. Dependent of the quality of the roots i would consider air layering, but with a big maple like this i would hesitate to do it. All or nothing... After repotting i would let this one grow. Next year i would remove the big stumps and start with new primary branches, all over the tree. Graft them if they don't sprout at the right place. Exciting material.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In the picture there seems to be a red accent in the trunk, is this correct? I would put it in a big growing box. Dependent of the quality of the roots i would consider air layering, but with a big maple like this i would hesitate to do it. All or nothing... After repotting i would let this one grow. Next year i would remove the big stumps and start with new primary branches, all over the tree. Graft them if they don't sprout at the right place. Exciting material.

Yes, reddish accent for sure. I'm beginning to thing that a total removal of the big stumps is needed...they are just to chunky to the design, me think.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Why don't you start pruning away now the branches that will not be part of the design? In my opinion the sooner the better.

It's a good question, but I'd prefer to take it slow. Root work in the spring and see how the tree responds. I haven't had the tree that long, so I want to see how it grows in my care before doing too much...but we'll see... my patience, like the tides, seems to ebb and flow:)

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, I've had this tree for a year now. I've slowly pruned away the branches I don't want. I also decided to cut off the two chunky branches. Here's the tree this morning after a bit more pruning (it's grown very well in my garden)
20170824_141524327_iOS.jpg

When i first received the tree, it was suggested that I get down in there and search for the nebari. I was always very cautious w/ this tree, but after seeing it everyday for a year...I'm a bit more comfortable working on it:)

What I found was pretty interesting...i'm not sure if it's good interesting or bad interesting, but take a look...

20170824_143006224_iOS.jpg 20170824_143025909_iOS.jpg 20170824_143039254_iOS.jpg

Pretty big root swelling there and the pot is just chalk full of roots. Seems like a good thing, but man, those roots at the flare line are thick! Seems like it might take a decade to get the roots small enough to fit in a decent pot. Any suggestions on how to get that trunk and root flare looking good?!? I'll look to repot in the spring. Maybe a grow box or an Anderson Flat. What do ya'll think?

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So, I've had this tree for a year now. I've slowly pruned away the branches I don't want. I also decided to cut off the two chunky branches. Here's the tree this morning after a bit more pruning (it's grown very well in my garden)
View attachment 158136

When i first received the tree, it was suggested that I get down in there and search for the nebari. I was always very cautious w/ this tree, but after seeing it everyday for a year...I'm a bit more comfortable working on it:)

What I found was pretty interesting...i'm not sure if it's good interesting or bad interesting, but take a look...

View attachment 158137 View attachment 158138 View attachment 158140

Pretty big root swelling there and the pot is just chalk full of roots. Seems like a good thing, but man, those roots at the flare line are thick! Seems like it might take a decade to get the roots small enough to fit in a decent pot. Any suggestions on how to get that trunk and root flare looking good?!? I'll look to repot in the spring. Maybe a grow box or an Anderson Flat. What do ya'll think?
Way too late to be messing with the roots!

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Way too late to be messing with the roots!

Oh, I agree! I won't do anything till spring for sure. I've put the tree back in it's pot...other than pulling away some roots to find the nebari, I didn't touch or cut anything. Just looking for ideas come spring. Thanks!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
As far as ideas go, one thought right now is, when you're re-potting, try and find smaller roots further back on those fat roots to chop back to. Otherwise, be ready to start a few root grafts. Another thought is to perform a ground layer and rebuild the nebari from scratch... that may be your best option, really.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I repotted in spring and have let this grow untouched. I’m pleased with how it responded. I’m a bit unsure in where to go from here. My initial inclination is to continue to do nothing. Watch it grow and reassess in fall. Hoping some maple masters can chime in with thoughts.

1F6D42D4-E1F7-4171-A9CA-AAFE1679B8B3.jpeg93C22BB7-A74E-40E8-895D-868DA6E652FA.jpeg83E741AC-82F3-44EB-97DF-DB4527262BAF.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No master here, but looking good to me. The movement has improved dramatically since it was potted shallower on it’s roots. I think the main question is if it is worth risking a ground layering or if you want to work with what it has, which is not perfect, but far from shabby.

jd_bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As above commenter, I’m no master either, but I definitely agree that the overall scale/shape and appearance is moving in the right direction. Congrats, I think you’ve made good decisions with this tree.

Top Bottom