Acer Pal - Newest Addition

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Been wiring this off and on for a few weeks. Just finished. Plenty of ramification is still needed, but I’m happy with the way the tree responded to the repot out of the garden container into the box. Hopefully I can continue to add to the ramifications for a few years and then into a pot it will go. Critique are always welcome. 12DD0E3B-6AE5-4D29-B5B9-3A791EE6C791.jpeg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice work on promising material. Before you focus on ramification, I would suggest you first develop your primary branches to attain the approximate appropriate thickness by letting them grow unchecked, specially those at the bottom. No trimming back except the apex in which the strenght needs to be managed to avoid excessive thickening. Eventually they will need to be cut back drastically only to repeat the process many times over. Also your box appears to be too small. I would use something larger (but not deeper) at this stage to ensure roots have room to grow into.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice work on promising material. Before you focus on ramification, I would suggest you first develop your primary branches to attain the approximate appropriate thickness by letting them grow unchecked, specially those at the bottom. No trimming back except the apex in which the strenght needs to be managed to avoid excessive thickening. Eventually they will need to be cut back drastically only to repeat the process many times over. Also your box appears to be too small. I would use something larger (but not deeper) at this stage to ensure roots have room to grow into.

Thanks!

Bigger box is no problem.

No cut back, but the apex, is also not a problem! Sounds like a plan. Thanks again.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Slip potted into a larger box and growing strong! Taking @MACH5 advice and will let the tree grow unchecked.
2D4FC885-71E3-434E-AC96-D1D86E5586B3.jpegA5CA277D-F6DA-42EE-8FD8-C3AC173B60EC.jpeg

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Why slip-pot?

My goal is to let the tree gather as much strength as possible. As @Walter Pall mentioned in another post, root work is necessary, but can often set the tree back. I felt slip potting would allow the tree to reach maximum strength at the quickest rate.

BonsaiNaga13

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

MAPLE

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Great tree!

The trunk barked up exceptionally fast in three years. Do you plan on root grafting?

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice work so far. My only comment is try to get some better undulations in your primaries - up, down, right & left. Using Winter cutback is a good way to get pronounced movement. I'd also keep the nebari covered and mossed while it's in development - packing sphagnum round those thicker roots is a good way to try and encourage roots closer to the trunk, esp off those thick roots. There's no advantage revealing the nebari when it's in development in a box.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
July 4th update. Crown has been cut back once, rest of tree has grown fully. I’ll update agin when naked, then we can decide whether to cut back hard this winter? @MACH5 ?

Also, this tree will need root grafts next year. Anyone have suggestions where I can purchase 6-8 basic green maple whips?

D1732D33-9D34-467C-AC80-885788FD0DA8.jpeg69BEA42F-B3EF-4920-9BDA-870EEE8C4093.jpeg

Top Bottom