Air Layer Pods

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think I'm a fan as well. You can buy clear ones too, which is nice because you can see the roots.

View attachment 388813

I made the mistake of adding dry Sphagnum moss though, thinking I could wet it after everything was together. Took awhile to soak through.
I always thought the clear would be bad because I thought roots didn’t like light?

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
The family bought me a few for father day's but haven't used them. A lot of the layers are I do are clumps and multi-trunks and these cant be used. Also, many are in tight and congestion places which these won't fit into. I am sure they are great if you are layering off a long section.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for the additional information. How was it to keep wet? Do they need constant watering? Which Brand did you get? Thanks again.
When you water the plant make sure some water enters the funnel on top of the pod. I didn't pay any attention to brand names, I think I have 3 different types off Amazon.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
those look sweet - think i saw them on amazon before.

i used a spent 3" plastic black grow pot wrapped with a dog poobag and zip tied.
the convenience of these devices in the thread could make them a good value i think

i need to use that moss in the future, i used soil and it took awhile

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always thought the clear would be bad because I thought roots didn’t like light?
You are correct, roots like the dark. Though it didn't seem to matter to my ficus which are not in the sun. On a few plants I used the clear and wrapped aluminum foil around them to keep them in the dark. Most of my pods however are black.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't think light is important to roots one way or the other. Roots grow in the dark because it's just coincidentally dark underground where the media that plant roots like to grow in is at. Stuff growing in hydroponic tanks with bright light grow just fine. The only response is that older parts of the roots turn green meaning they are maybe doing some photosynthesizing on their surface.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I don't think light is important to roots one way or the other. Roots grow in the dark because it's just coincidentally dark underground where the media that plant roots like to grow in is at. Stuff growing in hydroponic tanks with bright light grow just fine. The only response is that older parts of the roots turn green meaning they are maybe doing some photosynthesizing on their surface.
as you probably know - orchid roots supplement feeding. they are exposed on trees often times with no leafs
but i know its a tough comparison

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That is an interesting takeaway and point. Thanks for the point.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought a nine pack with 3 different sizes. The medium and small ones have a hinge which makes it so easy to open. If you have the dark ones you can easily open and see roots if there are some. And the large one has vents on two sides in which the roots will grow towards and start growing out of if you are getting roots. So being able to see roots with the black ones is still simple. I personally like the black ones but like @Forsoothe! said it really doesn’t make a difference.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plant roots grow away from a source of blue or white light, roots are said to have a “negative” phototropic response.

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
My learning curve this year using air layering pods. Water them at least once a week. When I took mine off of a Cherry, they were dry as a bone.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm no expert, but my experience has been that air layers work just fine in clear plastic. This includes Japanese maples and dawn redwoods.

The pods do need to be watered, yes. But not that often if they are sealed fairly tight at the top at sides. And like any clear plastic system, at least around here, it's easy to tell if they are moist because you can see the condensation on the inside of the container:

PXL_20210729_163154276.jpg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
sweet ^

million dollar idea for sure with these cheap molds, theyre out there still

@andrewiles im going to hardcut a dawn redwood and repot next spring.
hadnt considered layering the top. you think i could air layer soon or in fall and itll be okay until spring?
we get some harsh winter conditions, i have a garage and breezeway for protection if need be.
thanks

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I personally would wait until next spring.

DRs also root nicely from hardwood cuttings, including fairly thick branches and trunks. So I'd stick any leftovers you have in potting soil or some other moist medium and given them a few months in the spring in shade to grow roots. Here are some leftovers from a chop I made this spring:

PXL_20210729_170656203.jpg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

DRs also root nicely from hardwood cuttings, including fairly thick branches and trunks. So I'd stick any leftovers you have in potting soil or some other moist medium and given them a few months in the spring in shade to grow roots. Here are some leftovers from a chop I made this spring:
noted. thank you

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

View attachment 388868
You got like 3/4 inch branches to root from cutting?!

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, lower success rate for thicker branches, but even larger branches have rooted for me. Using CloneX. It takes awhile though, so I've only had success if they are basically full shade and fairly humid after they leaf out. If they get any drying sun before they show a second flush they are usually toast in a day or two. Second flush usually means roots have formed. First flush is just stored energy.

Bonds Guy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

View attachment 388868
Do you cut before buds swell or after?

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For air layers I've been waiting until after the first flush, with ample foliage hardened off above the cut. So mid-spring.

For the hardwood cuttings pictured above the cut was in late winter, before any bud swelling. I believe it's generally suggested to take hardwood cuttings in early to mid winter.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For air layers I've been waiting until after the first flush, with ample foliage hardened off above the cut. So mid-spring.

For the hardwood cuttings pictured above the cut was in late winter, before any bud swelling. I believe it's generally suggested to take hardwood cuttings in early to mid winter.
This year I am going to try winter cuttings out. So you are getting roots pretty quick?

Top Bottom