Airlayered American elms

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Update air laryred Amirican Elm.

Hi all. Here is an update on an American Elm that I air layered about 5 years ago. Hope you like it !

Attachments

• 101_0527.jpg
    101_0527.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 101_0514.jpg
    101_0514.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 130

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great job! I understand how big the leaf can get as we have a few. Is that a tall one or you just a master at leaf reduction :confused: I really like that tree!

Grimmy

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I prune back to two internodes. After doing this for a few years, the leaves reduce. I find these elms to be very tuff. You can probably prune back to one internode if you want to.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I prune back to two internodes. After doing this for a few years, the leaves reduce. I find these elms to be very tuff. You can probably prune back to one internode if you want to.

Thank you for the update and the advice. We also have found them to be very tough and a welcome addition of a plant that was at one time "wiped out".

Grimmy

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes, I believe this was the direction it was going from the start. I could have done other things with, it but I felt a broom style was the best choice.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I would not say its a traditional broom - branches are not straight enough. I feel it looks more like a "naturalistic broom"

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would not say its a traditional broom - branches are not straight enough. I feel it looks more like a "naturalistic broom"

Fine "edge" on that call but honest that would be what I would expect to see from Walter Pall and of course endorse it. There is a LOT to be said of that specimen, follow your vision, it is great.

Grimmy

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Lovely tree! Thanks for the updates. Great to see the progression:) Curious...what does the parent tree look like?

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The parent tree was cut down 2 years earlier - it had died. This was growing out from the base when I air layered it.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks really good - nice job! I would love to find a decent piece of American elm material.

BTW, what happened to the others?

Chris

Top Bottom