Airlayering Arakawa main trunk to remove grafted rootstock?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am trying to keep my number of bonsai limited since I live in an apartment, so right now I truly only want 1 arakawa but that one has an unsightly graft mark on it that may or may not go away when the cork bark starts to develop. I also feel that top part is too straight and would be better as a cutting or airlayer

I can understand the space constraints. Just keep in mind if you do air layer and it fails you can loose everything. I would wait till next year till after the first flush has hardened off and take a bunch of cuttings. You should be able to get several good sized cuttings (roughly 1/4" in thickness). Arakawa cutting root easily. You keep the best one or two cuttings.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can understand the space constraints but not the actions taken within them.

Sorce

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So start with layering that top part.
If it doesn't work you lop it off later and nothing is really lost, but for your belief that you can layer it off its grafted roots.

If it does work, then you optimistically proceed with layering off the grafted root stock. But, should that not work, you will have lost the lower part, but what you set out to achieve (an Arakawa on its own roots) is already done. Goal achieved, though not via the straight line path you envisioned.

And then there is the final possibility that you have two ungrafted Arakawa - then you are really in a pickle :oops:
Heaven forbid 🤣
So I throw a layer on to the apex and its only been on there since july 4th and the roots are going like crazyIMG_20200722_164521_551.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Great succes!

My layers do not want to take this year. :( I am frustrated by this post :)
I did 12 air layers on my arakawa this season, looks like I already lost 4-5 of them. Hopefully I don't loose anymore. I'm wondering how my cuttings will do?

Top Bottom