All aboard the Mugo train!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There were no buds to knock off. ;-) it never got the chance to make them.
But this week I did find buds on the ends of the branches. We'll see if those continue to bud or if it just keeps flushing.

View attachment 303117
I see now that the sun reflection on my screen caused me to just miss it, but there's a tiny part of the bud showing.

I too think it'll be fine in a couple of years.

Thanks!
There are a lot of buds, epicormic buds, that exist within the needle scars all along the trunk and branches. Often they will throw a bud from these locations that are very fragile and easily rubbed off. This is the major reason for the way we remove the candles in the early summer. I know this does not go according to the masters that say you cannot do this but I can,-- and have been doing it,--- for about forty years.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Time to update the mugo pine after thinning it out and removing up and down growing needles. Put a few pieces of wire on it to move some branches around. Here's the 4 year progression.

upload_2017-6-25_15-10-2 (1).jpeg

20200614_183130.jpg

Thinking about a wider and slightly shallower pot next year. And thinking of an angle change. Thoughts?

20200614_183052.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thoughts?

🤐🤫🤭🙊 Hahaha!

I look at all the lines. It helps that it's against those lines of the paneling.
The bottom trunk is almost straight up yeah? I think you can go a little further, but it's quite a short distance till the top is straight up. I don't know if getting it right between that small margin of error is better than how it is now. Will also depend on where you can get the branch lines to then as well.

That light bit of arched root, kinda keeps the eye on that fert pile, halting progress up the trunk a bit. That line plays against the pot lines too, which keeps the eye there. Seems an easy fix. It's am excellent study of how 3 minor things can cause one big OUT. Darken it, not so bad. No bright feet, not so bad, different pot, not so bad. But with all 3, it's real bad. Good though, because it takes all that to see it and fox it, where of it was just one, it would still be a flaw, but harder to pinpoint.

I might think quick about ditching the 2 low branches, because they are quickly forcing their necessity, since when the difference in size of the bottom and top is any greater, it'll look crap without those branches. But I think those branches are kinda crap. Cutting them off soon will start to soften that change and the "next tree up" will have a chance.

If low branches are too leggy, I look to the next tree up. Your next tree up seems realistic. Sometimes there is no next tree up.

Great first 4!

Sorce

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
🤐🤫🤭🙊 Hahaha!

I look at all the lines. It helps that it's against those lines of the paneling.
The bottom trunk is almost straight up yeah? I think you can go a little further, but it's quite a short distance till the top is straight up. I don't know if getting it right between that small margin of error is better than how it is now. Will also depend on where you can get the branch lines to then as well.

That light bit of arched root, kinda keeps the eye on that fert pile, halting progress up the trunk a bit. That line plays against the pot lines too, which keeps the eye there. Seems an easy fix. It's am excellent study of how 3 minor things can cause one big OUT. Darken it, not so bad. No bright feet, not so bad, different pot, not so bad. But with all 3, it's real bad. Good though, because it takes all that to see it and fox it, where of it was just one, it would still be a flaw, but harder to pinpoint.

I might think quick about ditching the 2 low branches, because they are quickly forcing their necessity, since when the difference in size of the bottom and top is any greater, it'll look crap without those branches. But I think those branches are kinda crap. Cutting them off soon will start to soften that change and the "next tree up" will have a chance.

If low branches are too leggy, I look to the next tree up. Your next tree up seems realistic. Sometimes there is no next tree up.

Great first 4!

Sorce

Sorce, I love ya buddy, but sometimes I have trouble ciphering what you're throwin' down. Are you saying go a little further so that the lower trunk angles left and the upper still angles right? Will have to see how that looks and see if I can lower some upper branches to make it work.

Don't think I like the idea of losing the lower branches. I think in time I can use them to help obscure the straight section in the upper trunk. Without them, that would be real obvious.

Roots are definitely still a work in progress. That section in front behind the fert pile is a solid mass that I may be able to carve into to lessen the effect.

This tree also looks way shittier in pics than In real life. For reals

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you saying go a little further so that the lower trunk angles left and the upper still angles right?

Yeah you're with me, cuz you "don't want it to come "straight out of the soil".

I reckon pulling the top branches down some, (pulling, meaning growing over years and continually wiring down) you have good cover for that straight part.

I guess I don't mind straight trunk sections as much as I don't like leggy branches. Meh..."leggy". More accurately, a great branch structure that begins too far off the trunk. A great branch structure that starts too far off the trunk is way worse than "leggy".

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Time to update the mugo pine after thinning it out and removing up and down growing needles. Put a few pieces of wire on it to move some branches around. Here's the 4 year progression.

View attachment 309171

View attachment 309172

Thinking about a wider and slightly shallower pot next year. And thinking of an angle change. Thoughts?

View attachment 309174
It's making some progress. This is a Sara Raynor Pot is it not? Personally I would spend more time with the design before thinking about a new pot.

Waldo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I have a similar Mugho. The bark looks almost identical to yours. Do you or anyone happen to know what species of Mugho this is. I have six other mughos, they all appear to have a different bark and different needles for that matter. Appreciate it if someone can identify this species.

Attachments

• Bonsai 7.jpg
    Bonsai 7.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 71

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a similar Mugho. The bark looks almost identical to yours. Do you or anyone happen to know what species of Mugho this is. I have six other mughos, they all appear to have a different bark and different needles for that matter. Appreciate it if someone can identify this species.

I think bark is more a reflection of age.

When they shrub em out it takes a bit longer to make them available for sale, so the bark develops more.

When they let them go the bark is still only a couple years old.

I reckon all the "cultivarish" ones are shrubbed out and\or just develop bark better due to slow growth causing thin layers that easily make interesting bark.

Pinus Mugo Regularis like yours, I reckon, is best for bonsai in this free state.

Sorce

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's making some progress. This is a Sara Raynor Pot is it not? Personally I would spend more time with the design before thinking about a new pot.

Yes Vance its a Sara Rayner that I originally purchased for a different tree. I think this is year 3 for the tree in this pot, so it's due for a repot next year.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Sorry, I can't help with the type as I have no idea what type mine is.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sorry, I can't help with the type as I have no idea what type mine is.
It looks very much like Pinus Mugus Mugo. Can't be sure even if you get the tag with the tree, the nurseries don't know or care much either.

Waldo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I think bark is more a reflection of age.

When they shrub em out it takes a bit longer to make them available for sale, so the bark develops more.

When they let them go the bark is still only a couple years old.

I reckon all the "cultivarish" ones are shrubbed out and\or just develop bark better due to slow growth causing thin layers that easily make interesting bark.

Pinus Mugo Regularis like yours, I reckon, is best for bonsai in this free state.

Sorce
Not sure if you can see the bark on these to Mugos. I have six of this variety. Notice the bark doesn't have those little bumps on the newer branches and upper part of the trunk ? These were all purchased at the same nursery. So, I assume they are all the same species. But the first image I posted on this thread has a different bark. the needles appear slightly wider and it opens its candles differently than the others. Nothing urgent here. Just wondering if from the images provided anyone could identify either or both species. Thanks.

Attachments

• Mugo 1.jpg
    Mugo 1.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Mugo 3.jpg
    Mugo 3.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 48

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing urgent here

A statement of the successful!

If Vance don't know...no one does!

Everything takes on peculiar quirks depending on a million things around them. As far as care goes, even 2 mugo regularis might be just different from each other to require a tad different care. Since you have an eye keen enough to note these subtle differences, you will also keenly observe what you need to do to best meet these needs. So it is with your excellence I say...don't worry about it!

What's your plan for these?

They seem properly worked to the brink.

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Not sure if you can see the bark on these to Mugos. I have six of this variety. Notice the bark doesn't have those little bumps on the newer branches and upper part of the trunk ? These were all purchased at the same nursery. So, I assume they are all the same species. But the first image I posted on this thread has a different bark. the needles appear slightly wider and it opens its candles differently than the others. Nothing urgent here. Just wondering if from the images provided anyone could identify either or both species. Thanks.
Did you only notice the bark after you put the wire on them? I have a couple of suggestions for you that might be helpful but I only offer, you will have to ask.

Waldo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Did you only notice the bark after you put the wire on them? I have a couple of suggestions for you that might be helpful but I only offer, you will have to ask.
No, I noticed the bark after I removed unwanted branches and cleaned it up a little. I usually study them for a while to decide what I intend to do with them.

Waldo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
A statement of the successful!

If Vance don't know...no one does!

Everything takes on peculiar quirks depending on a million things around them. As far as care goes, even 2 mugo regularis might be just different from each other to require a tad different care. Since you have an eye keen enough to note these subtle differences, you will also keenly observe what you need to do to best meet these needs. So it is with your excellence I say...don't worry about it!

What's your plan for these?

They seem properly worked to the brink.

Sorce
My plan is to watch, read and learn from various sources and experiment to see what works and what works best. I have only had these trees for about 7 months. They still possess sacrificial branches. They are all pushing candles nicely. I am getting quite a bit of back budding. they seem happy and healthy so far. I am employing many of the principals that Mr. Wood has presented here as well as others.
Although I have Austrian pines, JBP, and Ponderosa, I really enjoy the Mugos. They are particularly tolerant of my impatience . they naturally have short needles. I will encourage ramification and am anxious to see how they progress. Thanks for your response.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh! I had to check my ticket and make sure I knew where I was! Chooooo Choooooo!

I don't see myself bothering to hassle with much more than a Mugo for a pine fix.

The other day I heard my mugo cussing out these dead JBP and today, chuckling just to chuckle. They don't give a ........

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know what this is, but Noting now is the time to catch them like this, before they do damage if they do damage.

20200711_121322.jpg

And this "series" of Mugo Cups whittled itself down to one cup. But it's pretty dope!

20200709_101912.jpg

20200709_101846.jpg

Porcelain with local clay glaze outside and white inside.

Sorce

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

View attachment 309171

View attachment 309172

View attachment 309174
I agree with Sorce on this, concerning removing those branches being a valid option.

I believe if you jin the bottom right branch (but keep the bottom left), and graft a new branch inbetween the current two bottom right branches, that it would improve the image nicely.

Visually, those two branches conflict with eachother and look like bar branches even if they aren't quite actually. Based on how you have moved the right foliage this is something you have noticed and attempted to remedy, but a new branch would fill that negative space in better and improve the offsetting bar branch look. Certainly a long term project.

However, I don't know how experienced you may be with grafting or how well mugo in general take grafts.

Top Bottom