Alnus Incana (Grey Alder) #1

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I havent measured them, but they are quite small at bud break, giving me the impression theyd reduce very well. Time will tell. I fertilized today with a sprinkling of 4-3-3 on the surface. Ill be feeding once a week bere on out with 1/4 strength miracle grow as well.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its possible that it is in fact a Hazel alder then. I checked my audobon field guide and I am within the natural range for hazel alder and just on the cusp of grey alder. Hazel alder seems to have rounder leaves than ours though that could be genetic anomolies.

Do you have a thread here or more pictures of your alder? Would love to see the full tree. Do you have images of the buds for comparison?

henrykiser

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its possible that it is in fact a Hazel alder then. I checked my audobon field guide and I am within the natural range for hazel alder and just on the cusp of grey alder. Hazel alder seems to have rounder leaves than ours though that could be genetic anomolies.

Do you have a thread here or more pictures of your alder? Would love to see the full tree. Do you have images of the buds for comparison?
This has grown so quickly. I’m gonna post a separate thread on an established alder that was dug at my dads house in northern ga. Looking good!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Repotted this today. It is about one week earlier than last year, going to add it to the trees getting the shuffle. Put it in a new mica pot. No repot for this tree next year. Going to get two solid years of growth on it before working the roots again.

Before Repot and minor pruning:
2021.03.03 - A.jpg

Out of the pot:
2021.03.03 - B.jpg

Roots raked out:
2021.03.03 - C.jpg
2021.03.03 - D.jpg

Roots pruned...
2021.03.03 - E.jpg

Potted, removed a few minor branches where there were three shoots in one place. Tree will be getting some basic wiring this year, I think. I want to pull a few branches down slightly. I think, though, next year I will be removing the top majority of the tree down to the bottom two branches.
2021.03.03 - F.jpg

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always like seeing people use alder. It's one of my favorite to work with.

Alder grows all over the place up here and they don't mind being dug up so I never considered starting from seed. I had no idea alder seeds would sprout by just soaking them in water, I always learn something here.

Some of those earlier pics of yours reminded me of this little red alder I collected a couple months ago.
smolalderclump.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking good to start the year. Leaves opened on 4/8 last year so should see them budding out soon.

20220402_114602.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pruned back hard. Before and after. Need to figure out the central structure. Just growing and cutting..

20220524_220811.jpg
20220524_221429.jpg
20220524_220825.jpg

Reaction score
It looks happy enough. Part of me thinks you should cut off the centre and right branch (as seen in the last pic you posted ) to give it some movement. But that’s just me. Don’t do anything rash lol

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ever going to let this develop a trunk? Constant whacking back prevents it developing.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work. Compliments of not going the "Lets grow a fat base and make huge cuts" route, but rather taking the high quality approach of frequent smaller cuts.

Top Bottom