Alternative photo backdrop

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Usually use a black painted board, but I thought I'd try a light colour - so I bought a cheap artist canvas at the discount store for €6/$6.40. It's a good size - 115 x 75cm or 45 x 30 inches.

At one point the light changed and the colour changed to a light blue - I think that's the colour I'll spray it.

What do you think?

11261082 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Larch group
11261082 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Cotoneaster
11261102 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Pyracantha
11261110 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Ivy
11261155 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

11261181 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Pyracantha
11261276 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Another
11261323 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Larch, Crabapple, larch
11261375 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Larch
11261386 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Acer palmatum
11261401 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This looks interesting. But if you spray it light blue at one point it can change to dark blue. But with h a white one it's a very good alternative to have dark and light backdrops.

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
White backgrounds tend to highlight details, and black backgrounds tend to emphasize silhouette.
The blue in your latter photos is a little tough on my eyes...but the trees are looking good!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the white color. The color changes now when it's white. It would turn a darker, perhaps undesirable darker shade of blue, when the sunlight or even the time of day changes. On a cloudy day I think the white would be best. Anyway.....I like the way that the white highlights all the intricate detail clearly.

For some reason the blue background is to intense on my eyes. The blue color seems to stand out more than the tree.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have white and black options... but have found recently that a well lit grey is my favorite for photos of trees and pots I have seen online! Obviously... the one color I do not have... gotta get a grey sheet now.

All that to say... you should paint it a light grey IMO.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I have white and black options... but have found recently that a well lit grey is my favorite for photos of trees and pots I have seen online! Obviously... the one color I do not have... gotta get a grey sheet now.

All that to say... you should paint it a light grey IMO.
I agree about grey. This is a piece of material I sometimes use. All with natural light on an overcast day. both kinda fuzzy. grrP1010689.JPG P1000540.JPG
The moss took up residence in this International Bonsai commemoration pot a few years ago. On now to it's next abode.

Last edited:

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Not a big fan of the blue either.
It makes it look like the white balance is off though judging from the tree it's not.

Soft white or greyish I also like better

Reaction score
i like the photo's. First photo's might be a bit to bright, but i don't have a clue how to make good pictures of my trees yet. Last photo's a bit to dark. btw. i like the trees too.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like the sky blue, i often use it for a back drop, it mimics a deep blue sky and in the summer looks good. lately ive become fond of white backrounds, which can also be made to look like a cloudy day, depending on lighting and iso settings.

i took this indoors with artificial light and the white appears a cloudy grey
2016-11-26_05-29-39 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

sky blue on a sunny day
IMG_2537 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

less sun
2016-10-05_07-02-29 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

increasing the iso setting makes this white much brighter

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Fun idea. You may want to consider a color checker card to help you set white balance and a Grey card to set exposure.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The graduated backdtakej.are the best for shohin and chuhin. Lighting is key to any good photo though and will cause a different look to the same tree with the same backdrop.
Check Flotone and similar. Here is an Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/flotone-graduated-background/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:flotone graduated background

Oh, thanks for this Don, now I know how these wonderful pictures are taken.
https://robertnochershohinbonsai.wordpress.com/2016/10/23/autumn-colour-in-my-shohin-trees/

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Fun idea. You may want to consider a color checker card to help you set white balance and a Grey card to set exposure.
That's assuming far more from my camera than it can deliver. I tend to do all the colour correction and white balance stuff on my PC.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The graduated backdrops are the best for shohin and chuhin. Lighting is key to any good photo though and will cause a different look to the same tree with the same backdrop.
Check Flotone and similar. Here is an Amazon link https://www.amazon.com/flotone-graduated-background/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:flotone graduated background
I have a can of light blue spray paint - I'm going to experiment and try get the graded effect...

Top Bottom