American Bonsai Society Learning Seminar 2023 Presented by Rocky Mountain Bonsai Society/Denver Botanical Garden June 8-11 2023

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
FACILITY SPOTLIGHT: 2023 ABS Learning Seminar, Denver Colorado, June 8-11 2023

We are so fortunate that the 2023 ABS Learning Seminar will be held at the Denver Botanic Gardens. The mission of this beautiful facility is to connect people with plants, especially plants from the Rocky Mountain region and similar regions around the world. What great synergy with an ABS Convention featuring such a wide range of native Rocky Mountain plant material. One way we are collaborating with the Botanic Gardens is through the several docent led tours of the gardens that we have scheduled. Of particular interest to our attendees will be the Bill Hosokawa Bonsai Pavilion with its associated tea house, the Japanese Garden, the Dwarf Conifer Collection, and the Bristlecone and Ponderosa Borders.

Check out https://www.absbonsai.org/national-convention-2023 to get more info and register for this special event!

17F97637-8E08-4959-A687-01714BD08405.jpeg

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm tempted to fly in for it, but I'd want to do at least 1 tree workshop if I'm going to make the trip. Then how to get the tree back with me...
I assume it's very doable to pack a shohin-sized tree in a carry on. Anyone have ideas for larger trees?
I've made it a habit of just hiring a courier to do a door to door transport of any large trees. When I did the math, the cost of renting a vehicle, gas, and not to mention time to travel, it just wasn't worth it to DIY. Moved 2 trees from Bjorn's(TN) to my place(WI) for around $800 vs renting a truck($500) plus gas($250) and time(priceless lol). Even from all the way from the west coast to the midwest, it made more sense to do get a courier.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
SEMINAR SPOTLIGHT: 2023 ABS Learning Seminar, Denver Colorado, June 8-11 2023

Are you just beginning to display your trees at formal shows? Or perhaps you are looking to up your game at the shows. One critical need is for good pictures of your trees. Join Scott Dressell-Martin Friday morning in the bonsai exhibit with your camera and tripod and get guidance from the DBG resident professional photographer on how to take dynamic photos of your trees. Friday afternoon, the ABS President, Karen Harkaway, will talk with us about how to prepare our trees for a show, and Dan Kingery will be demonstrating how to build display stands. Saturday morning, one of our vendors, Kristy Majeske, will talk about the history of using scrolls in bonsai displays. And finally, on Saturday afternoon, for those of us who love the small trees, the ABS Past-President, Mark Fields, will lead a demonstration on putting together a shohin display.

Check out https://www.absbonsai.org/national-convention-2023 to get more info and register for this or some of the other fantastic workshops!

7D17B207-A0D4-452F-A53E-EFFCEEC2E613.jpeg

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
WORKSHOP SPOTLIGHT: 2023 ABS Learning Seminar, Denver Colorado, June 8-11 2023
In the Black Sage Workshop you will work with wild collected material of Shohin or slightly larger sizes. These specimens were collected by Andy Smith of Golden Arrow Bonsai and have amazing trunks with small, light-green leaves that can make a beautiful bonsai. Workshops are a great way to get expert advice on various bonsai techniques through the teachings of bonsai masters. Check out https://www.absbonsai.org/national-convention-2023 to get more info and register for this or some of the other fantastic workshops!

Any insight on how black sage adapts to more humid/non-desert areas like Northern Virginia?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Any insight on how black sage adapts to more humid/non-desert areas like Northern Virginia?
I've never tried, but it seems like the kind of thing that might not do well in our climate. Beautiful material though!

- S

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was going to say the same as @markyscott . They're adapted to hot dry climates, so the humidity will be problematic.
If you can keep it somewhere with plenty of air movement and find the right antifungal regimen, you might be ok, but it's a matter of how much effort the thing is worth to you.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've never tried, but it seems like the kind of thing that might not do well in our climate. Beautiful material though!

- S
They're adapted to hot dry climates, so the humidity will be problematic.

That was my hunch, but one-seed junipers seem to do pretty well out here and down in Nashville, and they're from the same climate

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That was my hunch, but one-seed junipers seem to do pretty well out here and down in Nashville, and they're from the same climate
And ponderosa and RMJ do ok out there too. It's totally worth a try.
If you're up for a trade or something, I'm willing to find one for you here. Just DM me.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Looking to expand into tropical bonsai despite living in a colder climate? Check out Paul Koenning’s discussion of Bonsai and Light Gardening to understand your options for indoor lighting for bonsai. Pete Parker from the Houston Bonsai Society has raised tropical bonsai for over 25 years. He will be talking about his favorite tropical species and why he likes raising and training them. He may even give a few starters away.

Check out https://www.absbonsai.org/national-convention-2023 to get more info and register for this or some of the other fantastic workshops!

45FCEE1C-DDF3-43A6-932C-F94FBFAF3A89.jpeg

*** This is Pete’s Burtt-Davyi. The best I’ve ever seen.

- S

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

Looking to expand into tropical bonsai despite living in a colder climate? Check out Paul Koenning’s discussion of Bonsai and Light Gardening to understand your options for indoor lighting for bonsai. Pete Parker from the Houston Bonsai Society has raised tropical bonsai for over 25 years. He will be talking about his favorite tropical species and why he likes raising and training them. He may even give a few starters away.

View attachment 482173

*** This is Pete’s Burtt-Davyi. The best I’ve ever seen.

- S
I would love to go to that. It's right up my alley.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Looking to improve your ability to envision the future development of your bonsai? There will be two seminars designed to improve your ability to find that magical design for your bonsai. Larry Jackel and Jim Doyle will lead a Socratic Seminar designed to help you think more deeply about your tree. Sketching the future of a tree helps resolve design issues and produce the best design for your material. Mary Carruthers will lead a seminar on drawing bonsai using the exhibition trees as your subject.

Attached images from "John Naka's Sketchbook".

339834119_766922061413406_9142892384695356090_n.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't suppose anyone has heard anything about special pricing for kids?
I haven't seen anything, so I guess I'm just hoping I missed something somewhere.

😕I don't have a date yet.
Thought maybe my 7yo would enjoy a daddy/daughter day.
🤷

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I don't suppose anyone has heard anything about special pricing for kids?
I haven't seen anything, so I guess I'm just hoping I missed something somewhere.

😕I don't have a date yet.
Thought maybe my 7yo would enjoy a daddy/daughter day.
🤷
I applied everything I know about bonsai to raising my children. I gave them small beds, tight clothes, taught them to drink and smoke. The youngest is 20 and can still get the child discount at the movies.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today's the big day! Bumping this thread as a hub to post pictures, talk about the event, arrange meet ups, etc!

While you're visiting the gardens I highly suggest exploring. We have a world class Japanese style lake garden bordered by conifers and maples of all kinds, a hardy bamboo grove, and a gorgeous bonsai collection (but I doubt any of you will miss that). The greenhouse is breathtaking as well.

I'll be there a bit later in the day, around 3, and will be posting a picture of myself in case anybody wants to say hello!

Can't wait!

Top Bottom