An unusual Trident

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Tree comes out with a nice solid rootball. All feeder roots - dense and evenly distributed right up to the soil surface. This is what I’m looking for in my trees.

4F6158AE-8555-4B6A-8DCD-0AA17F3CF6C5.jpeg

First I work the base of the rootball with a rake. Remove the drainage layer and an inch or two of soil. Work the base flat and remove downward growing roots. No need to go further. Inorganic soil doesnt break down or compact. Large tap roots were removed years ago.

S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Next I break down the wall with a single prong root hook and comb out the roots with a pair of bent nose tweezers. You’re just removing the outer 2” or so around the edge of the rootball and the top 1/2” or so of soil. No need to go further when you have a rootball that looks like this. Work from the edge of the rootball toward the center. If you find crossing roots or other problems, remove them now. A good inorganic soil mix should just fall apart as you work. No hacking, pulling, or grunting needed. This is a 1/2 hour job with a well maintained root system.

3C974E46-AFE6-47B3-A595-F66AA68E00FE.jpeg

BDC84937-E5C0-4C4D-8484-4CE294C6A976.jpeg

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I didn't realize how big this one was until today. That rootball looks really happy. Is soil mix just APL?

Decoy Octopus

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My back hurts looking at this! I don’t have any trees nearly this large and learned the value of posture while repotting yesterday. looks like you’ve got a nice setup for all your work =)

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Sorry, what does APL stand for? I'm terrible with abreviations.

akadama-pumice-lava

aka Boon mix after Boonyarat Manakitivipart who popularized it in the US and very similar Japanese soil blends such as Aoki and Clay King.

Scott

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Partial outer canopy defoliation. It’s mid March for chrissake!

First let it grow strong. Then cut back all the extending shoots back to the first node. Leave all of the weak interior shoots alone. Leave all of the branches you wish to strengthen alone to extend.
Then let it grow. After a couple of weeks a new flush will develop and the process may be repeated.

4C2E5FB2-1C53-49BE-B34E-BD5D44F39F11.jpeg
A793DD5A-37B7-407E-B0D2-AF1E3C6ED632.jpeg

Top Bottom