Another mugo

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Just let it develop and heal-over and you will get an interesting trunk that looks far older than it really is. It will meld together and heal pretty much flat.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Quick update

IMG_20180807_114420.jpg

IMG_20180807_114438.jpg

I've noticed some needles are turning yellow, so I think it's staying a bit too wet between waterings.

Would it be a good idea to repot it now?

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Read this: https://www.bonsainut.com/resources/compiled-vance-wood-on-mugo-pines.23/
to learn how to treat the needles on a mugo. It looks like you've plucked them as on a jbp. Perhaps @Vance Wood will chime in here.

I haven't plucked the needles, the growth was just leggy when I bought the tree.. Also haven't decandled or anything.. Maybe I could have decandled it, but I wasn't sure how healthy the tree was and didn't want to risk killing it!

I've read that summary of Vance's posts a couple of times. It's my go-to reference for this tree!

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Alsof, i made sure only two buds remained on almost every branch at the end of last spring.. So It now have a lot of forking branches! I haven't decandled the new shoots obviously, but would it be useful to prune the new shoots in order to promote backbudding?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
When did you repot the tree, that is the question most critical to answer. As to the candles and back budding: This tree is in the developmental stage so you need to decide if you need to elongate a branch or just needs some back budding. When you cut the candles on a Mugo you don't do it in hopes of a second flush of growth according to the two needle Pine book mostly about JBP and JRP which will grow again if the candles are truncated early in the season. Mugos and Scotts do not do this, they will produce a truck load of buds but will not predictably produce a second flush of growth. So---I let the candles elongate until the first of summer then I cut them off just about 1mm above where they started growing this season. In a few weeks they will throw buds galore, many on old wood.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
When did you repot the tree, that is the question most critical to answer. As to the candles and back budding: This tree is in the developmental stage so you need to decide if you need to elongate a branch or just needs some back budding. When you cut the candles on a Mugo you don't do it in hopes of a second flush of growth according to the two needle Pine book mostly about JBP and JRP which will grow again if the candles are truncated early in the season. Mugos and Scotts do not do this, they will produce a truck load of buds but will not predictably produce a second flush of growth. So---I let the candles elongate until the first of summer then I cut them off just about 1mm above where they started growing this season. In a few weeks they will throw buds galore, many on old wood.
I've learned to do the same. Only I cut the new candles in august. Right now I just want to get buds closer to the trunk!

About repotting.. I haven't repotted this tree since I bought it. The soil is getting pretty dense, so I was thinking about repotting this summer.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you want buds close to the trunk you are probably cutting the candles too late, I would and do cut them in the beginning of July. Also; it helps if you remove needles from the bottom and top of the branches leaving your branch looking like a fuzzy bow tie when viewed straight on down the shaft. Do not remove all the needles as with JBP, dormant buds reside in the fasicles of the needles and are more easily stimulated with the presence of a pair of needles to encourage growth.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I would and do cut them in the beginning of July.
Interesting! I'll try that this July. Can I repot it during the summer dormancy? Or no shoot pruning and repotting in the same year?
Thanks for taking the time to give me advice, Vance!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Interesting! I'll try that this July. Can I repot it during the summer dormancy? Or no shoot pruning and repotting in the same year?
Thanks for taking the time to give me advice, Vance!
I do it all but that's me, it wouldn't hurt to skip a year between if that makes you comfortable. I try not to put to many things into to things you have to do and when.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
I made a drastic decision last year!

IMG_20200714_130612.jpgIMG_20200714_130638.jpgIMG_20200714_142116.jpgIMG_20200714_142146.jpg

Going for a more compact design. Hopefully I can fit it in a much smaller container in a couple of years.

Attachments

• IMG_20200714_142209.jpg
    IMG_20200714_142209.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 3

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
An interesting concept. Be warned; Mugo as hardy as they are can be mortally impacted by too uneven a reduction of the foliar elements at any one time. Sometimes they will put out new growth and then go belly up shortly after.

Fishtank307

Shohin
Reaction score
Update... I've been trying to gradually compact this tree to the smallest design I can imagine:
IMG20220429095617.jpg

Simple branch structure:
IMG20220429095758.jpg

Probably going to start pinching the candles to balance energy. I also want short internodes from now on!
IMG20220429095810.jpg

Difference in candle length:
IMG20220429100018.jpg

IMG20220429100030.jpg

View from the left hand side:
IMG20220429100041.jpg

Now, 4 years later I also realise that this probably scots pine, not mugo!

What do you think?

Top Bottom