Another Nursery Azalea Gets a Chop

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want one with black flowers.

My neighbor down the street, has black sunflower. They are a really deep red I think. But black.

Black flowers would be dope.
With a glossy black pot!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, and Damn!

Nice!

Sorce

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks, Leo. When I started on azaleas years ago, there wasn't much info on chopping nursery stock back and eventually turning it into a bonsai, other than Johng's videos on youtube, which are inspiring and awesome. So I started these threads to share what I have found to work and not work. Glad they help.

John

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
it blows my mind how trees adapt , and how they live through that. The will some of them have to live after taking all those roots and chopping it right down. Truly is remarkable

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks really good. I would love to find an azalea like that at a nursery around here.
Is that pure oil dry you have it potted in?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Must say its looking awesome! Lol are you gonna charge 300 bucks for it? Just kidding. But seriously looks great

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
update and mystery solved:

Those are pretty common around here too but what I noticed they are almost always in very sunny locations. Could be why they are popular. If you see others here including rhododendron they are usually in shaded areas. Still, a nice plant though and of course just my "theory" on popularity :rolleyes:

Grimmy

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
so quick question, i was at my nursery and they have Azeleas are all Azeleas made equally or are some better for bonsai more then others ?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
so quick question, i was at my nursery and they have Azeleas are all Azeleas made equally or are some better for bonsai more then others ?

Yes indeed! Just as in other plants and trees you will want a cultivar that has both small leaf and smaller flowers for a nicely balanced look. Azalea - there are hundreds if not thousands so take a picture of the tag and research what it grows to before purchase. If you happen to come across Satsuki Azalea most any are suitable but you would need to Winter them in a shed or garage in your climate. Azalea are closely related to Rhododendron and they both can have huge leaf and flower depending on the variety.

Grimmy

Top Bottom