any ideas to buy good collected material

gavin555595

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
im looking for any stores to find colleted pines that offers some what cheap shipping price any idea:confused:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It would help if you provided a little bit of information on where you are located. "Cheap" shipping in the U.S. isn't so cheap outside if you're not in the country...

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Assuming you want them to arrive alive, "cheap shipping" is NOT the way to go.

Honestly, you get what you pay for.

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
Gavin...Shipping cost is a function of the size of the box, weight and the shipping distance. Typically the carrier is UPS. You also have to consider time of year and whether you go with Ground, 3-day, etc. The cost of a collected pine can be considerable - so the shipping is secondary - but when you think about it important so your purchase arrives safe and alive......Tom

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For nursery-grown trees, George at Muranaka Bonsai Nursery has a great reputation. I haven't yet purchased any trees from him, but I've been browsing his site daily. He offers free shipping on all of his trees.

http://stores.ebay.com/muranakabonsainursery1978

I don't remember his website, but I know Bob Shimon collects Coastal redwoods and Sierra Junipers (at least I thought they were Sierras...). I don't know about his shipping charges though. Anyone know Bob's website?

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
I don't remember his website, but I know Bob Shimon collects Coastal redwoods and Sierra Junipers (at least I thought they were Sierras...). I don't know about his shipping charges though. Anyone know Bob's website?[/QUOTE]

here is a link to Mendocino Coast bonsai

http://www.mcbonsai.com/

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think the issue here is that Gavin is asking for two things:

(1) Collected pines
(2) Cheap shipping

Often these two concepts are incompatible with one another. Collected pines by their very nature are going to be expensive (potentially MUCH more so) than field or nursery pines. No self-respecting collector is going to go spend the man hours to collect a pine, baby it until it is strong enough to ship, and then not package the heck out of it - because at that point they already have a lot of labor invested in the tree.

Separately, I will say you can ship just about anything within the contiguous 48 state for less than 300 dollars (100 for crating, 200 for freight shipping) - including a 4' tall yamadori in a 3' wide pot.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think the issue here is that Gavin is asking for two things:

(1) Collected pines
(2) Cheap shipping

Often these two concepts are incompatible with one another. Collected pines by their very nature are going to be expensive (potentially MUCH more so) than field or nursery pines. No self-respecting collector is going to go spend the man hours to collect a pine, baby it until it is strong enough to ship, and then not package the heck out of it - because at that point they already have a lot of labor invested in the tree.

Separately, I will say you can ship just about anything within the contiguous 48 state for less than 300 dollars (100 for crating, 200 for freight shipping) - including a 4' tall yamadori in a 3' wide pot.

Would not the cheap shipping be a seperate issue from the cost of packaging? Ups and most the others arrive at their shiiping prices by the weight, and you can buy insurance to cover damaged items. I am sure that a collector would want his tree to be shipped safely and would probably package it well, but the shipping costs would be minor compared to the tree and the packing.

ed

Top Bottom