Anyone Know how to make a good Soil Sieve?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I can think of a couple ways to make a decent frame, but am not sure of what to use for the mesh or bottom? Anyone know a good way to get some differnt size bottoms?

Or have a good way of making a soil Sieve to grade soil?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Go to a freakin convention and buy one. Go to BIB exhibit next weekend and buy one from the vendors. They are cheap and you will spend way more money buying the appropriate hardware cloth to make one, plus your time.

BTW, thinking of making one larger to make the process go faster is not good either. A two foot square sieve full of soil is about 15 pounds. Shake that for 15 minutes and you will have something to add to your dangerous list. oh....and wear a mask!:eek:

Last edited:

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Go to a freakin convention and buy one. Go to BIB exhibit next weekend and buy one from the vendors. They are cheap and you will spend way more money buying the appropriate hardware cloth to make one, plus your time.

BTW, thinking of making one larger to make the process go faster is not good either. A two foot square sieve full of soil is about 15 pounds. Shake that for 15 minutes and you will have something to add to your dangerous list. oh....and wear a mask!:eek:

ha ha, cool I have one but somehow managed to lose one of the screens. I figured it was probably a better idea to just buy a new one, but thought I would ask. I'll def be at BIB next weekend, looking forward to it!!!

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Oh dear, I believe you were just spanked.:D

I think Al is right here, some things it just makes time and dollar sense to go buy em. And you get the chance to get to the show, vendors, networking, etc., have fun at BIB. wish I could make it.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hardware cloth. Comes in 24" wide, and can buy a 24" long piece. I use 1/8" and 1/4" holes for making soil. I made one of each and the cloth cost me 8.00. a couple 1 x 3, think they were 1.45 each, and some staples. Put some handles on the side, took about an hour to make both, but if you dont have the tools, i can see just buying one.

Top Bottom