Apple tree collection

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Airlayering seems like a better option... Its too straight at the bottom.
I think I can make it work, it's got more character than the picture shows big time. Plus she wants it gone now lol so why not have a nice big apple I can do something with.

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just had a dream about going and digging this tree, AND IT LEAFED OUT (oh no too late) so I'm making the decision to do the dig on my weekend (Tuesday, Wednesday), mainly bossed on the fact that we are warning up here quick, for once that dumb ground hog was right.
EDIT:I just realized I'll be digging this thing directly after the new moon.
Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Today is the day. Currently 48 and a high of 67 today with a low tonight of 33 which is kinda cool but I think it should be fine, we're only getting warmer. I'm pretty excited I'll post pictures when I'm finished.

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well it took about 2 hours with 2 men and A LOT of tools. I got an awsome set of feeders almost all the way around other then the obvious dead portion. I did manage to smack my head pretty good (picture of the bump included) I'll get better pics of the tree tomorrow, right now I AM DIZZY! Now we must hope it comes back.

Aaron20160209_135855.jpg 20160209_135847.jpg

Attachments

• 20160209_135344.jpg
    20160209_135344.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 26

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Holy smokes! What the hell are you going to do with that thing? Wow. Hope it makes it.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Holy smokes! What the hell are you going to do with that thing? Wow. Hope it makes it.
When it comes back, which I'm pretty positive it will, I'm going to let it grow for a while since its so thick I need some thick branches, and I'll go for an old orchard looking tree. I got A LOT of fine roots so I have a lot of confidence in its survival.

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
20160210_075518.jpg 20160210_075530.jpg Forgot to add, I pulled this guy out of a large root maybe 18 in down, I'm surprised @sorce didn't see it in the first photo. It's a little toy Saber tooth tiger made in 1972, it was probably 1/4 of the way in the root so he shall stay with this tree. I'm assuming it was planted there before 1972, so this is atleast a 45 year old apple, maybe older who knows?

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
la0KcZd.jpg
8ql1bZi.jpg
8tAT4Bp.jpg
I dug up a crab apple last year, severe trunk chop, and tap root chop. they can take a beating and come back.

la0KcZd
jJgM9LT
jo3pRQh
Do you remember what time of year you collected this?

Aaron

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Do you remember what time of year you collected this?

Aaron

Tree was dug 4/11/15. seemed to be about perfect timing for it, I try to collect the day after a rain. I plan to collect a couple more crab apples, there are ones that make yellow apples, and red apples, as well as bradford pair in the same area. Ill probably do some collecting a bit earlier this year. I did collect an american elm on june 1st last year, it did very well as far as recovery goes. I wont be collecting much after june 1st I don't think. Although, eastern white pine, and even younger white birch I have collected with success in mid summer.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, I'd have buried the trunk at least six inches deeper, and used a deeper container. The root crown should be underneath at least a couple of inches of soil to prevent those surface roots from drying out...

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
FWIW, I'd have buried the trunk at least six inches deeper, and used a deeper container. The root crown should be underneath at least a couple of inches of soil to prevent those surface roots from drying out...
Odd enough that was a high root all others are at least 2in under the soil and I mulched over the pot. Unfortunately this was my largest container.

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was getting very sad about this tree this morning, since to the naked eye it still had done nothing. I started off by scratching the live vein of the tree and I was quite happy to see vibrant green still.20160415_073750.jpg
While doing this, I noticed a white fuzz toward the bottom of the live vein, OH NO MEALY BUGS. I squished the little guys and started digging around the whole tree. I found a small group of the mealy bugs feeding on a root, I immediately cut this root off and disposed of it. While I was digging I got some good news.20160416_072008.jpg
I HAVE NEW ROOTS!!

After uncovering this, I made sure there weren't anymore mealy bugs in sight and sprayed the surface of the soil with neem to combat them.

It's still not budding but to see its alive and growing roots is plenty fine for me. Let's just hope it starts budding soon!

Aaron

Top Bottom